• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the difference between Wing Chun and Wing Tchun?

Sorry if this question has been done to death, but whats the diff? I've seen people go out of their way to emphasize one or the other when talking.

Also from what I gather, Wing chun seems to be a style that has a bit of a 'reputation'; as being one of the best out there. I was wondering if there is a style that worries wing chun'ers? I.e. is there a style that a Wing Chun guy of high standard would find difficult to deal with another guy of the 'other' style of equally high quality. Mantis perhaps?

I've been interested in Wing Chun for a while but am exploring the possibilites before committing myself, I just want to be sure.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raze,

I practice traditional Wing Chun. I really don´t know any thing about Wing Tchun. I do seem to remember an ex-Leung ting oraganization member forming his own variation of wing chun in England. It might be his "style" of wing chun that you are referring to. Maybe another member of the forum can varify this. As far as I know Leung Ting has already "modified" Yip Man´s system and maybe if my guess is correct, then Wing Tchun may be a "modification" of Leung Ting´s system.

My personal advice would be for you to look for a Wing Chun school that is traditional. This means it is faithfull to its lineage and has not been "modified" or "improved" nor "made more practical for today". Because usually these are marketing terms. All they mean sometimes is that the style has been simplified and the training standardized and made less demanding and this is done to attract and keep more students. Wing Chun being the type of style that it is, you may learn some usefull skills even in such schools, but you won´t learn many others.

As far as I know a well trained Wng Chun exponent need not fear any style. Having said that of course as you may have heard, it is not always the style but also the fighter that determine the outcome of any confrontation. Also, Wing Chun is not the only effective kung fu style howevere, there are others, such as the Praying Mantis (and its variations), Bazhiquan and the Shaolin Five Animales to name a few. Besides using differente concepts in combat these styles differ in the time span required to master them. Remember. Whatever style of kung fu that you choose make sure it is authentic and the instructors are qualified or you will end up getting very little benefit - if any at all - from your training.

Good Luck,

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

cos i can't be bothered to start a new thread just to point out a useful link....

here is something that some guys will find interesting regarding the relationships between the old masters

as well as beig a damn good reference site.

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/who/ancestors/index.html

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

We were testing your. :lol:

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?