• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Point tournament

40 cent

Hey guys,

after 7 or so months of training and moving to a new dojo and finally being allowed to compete, i figured what the hell, im gonna go in a tournament. so i signed up for one that is 3 weeks away :s close i know.

its non contact, just a point tournament so it will be good for the experience win or lose.

just after ANY advice on the little preparation ive got, dealing with the nerves, and actual procedure/helpful tactics/combos to use when im out there. thanks guys :)

grant

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Keep practicing your combos until they are innate. Try to focus on good quality combos vs quanity. A lot of people I noticed in clicker tournements tend to go through a routine but not really attempt to block the opponents attacks. Its difficult to be aware of since you are not actually being hit. So, as a result I suggest training with a partner as much as you can so that you are practicing your blocking as well as attacks. I hope this helps!

:D Djitta makes good point's but I gotta ask the question, do u want to win or do u want to be a better fighter? I know a lot of point fighters and they win by practiscing fast, single and obvious techniques i.e. knifehand to the abdomen, front kick to the abdomen, jab and backfist to the face. At the lower levels many people get disqualified because of their lack of control so if u want to win work on quick techniques i.e. jab and not combos. The combos get powerful when u get excited and u might lose if u hit them too hard. If u want to be a better fighter do like d says and work on the combos and blocks. For point forget about the blocks. Good luck and have fun :lol:

Donkey

In your combos, make sure you try to strike at different areas with different strikes. It will be easier to score a point on your opponent if you are attacking different areas. For example, Back fist to the head then reverse punch to the chest. You are using two different strikes to two different areas, making them harder to block.

In your combos, make sure you try to strike at different areas with different strikes. It will be easier to score a point on your opponent if you are attacking different areas. For example, Back fist to the head then reverse punch to the chest. You are using two different strikes to two different areas, making them harder to block.

The first combo we are taught :D Indeed good and misleading.

You can also try a punch in the abdomen and immediatelly a reverse on the chin. Many are used to the combination oi zuki jodan and gyaku zuki chudan and you'll get them unprepared. Try doubles ... 2 punches with the same hand at the same level or different and aftewards a blow to the abs. Anything you can to catch them by surprise. I like to enter with a straight punch at jodan level while stepping and changing the stance. Some are really taken by surprise and get remain speachless. The idea is to move a lot and try to move sideways too. It's difficult, but once you've got the hang of it you'll see it's quite useful. Don't forget to use your feet and don't hit too hard at jodan level.

Try to catch the opponent with counters on his techniques. Timing and speed are very important.

For training ... focus on some combos and perfect them.

At the tourney ... be confident and RELAXED. Don't get intimidated by the others display of mastery .. focus on your self and go for the gold :karate:

yeah you are right, itll be a challenge for me to stay relaxed, but it is a good point to make.

i go for it next sunday so ill let you know how i go :) btw, whats stop people from using 'infinite combos'? it seems that in training, some people go into 12 strike combos that arent really that crisp but nevertheless they score and get hard to block.