• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know my instructor is legit because i've seen how he fights with it, and I want to fight like that. My instructor has talked about where he got his information I just don't remember where he learned the xingyi from. Either way I'm more interested in learning how to do it and fight with it than anything else.

Even if my teacher did teach all the ways to spell xingyi and all about its lineage it wouldn't really mean he's legit anyway. If it works thats all that matters.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The outcome of fighting does not mean that it is true Xingyi. Legit per lineage, has nothing to do with how well someone fights. I seen brawlers fight, if one was to claim they know/teach Xingyi, how would one (per newcomer) know if that is legit. Now, dont get me wrong, I mean no offence. But you don't strike me as knowing all about Xingyi. Most instructors/masters, per system such as this, will have their student learn about the system, not just a fighting aspect. Therefore, your instructor has either:

A.) Not taught you and had you had not leared this.

B.) He, himself, doesn't know.

A thorough check is needed.

Caveat Emptor

The outcome of fighting does not mean that it is true Xingyi. Legit per lineage, has nothing to do with how well someone fights.

This brings up an interesting question. If your a new student you really couldn't know what was legit or proper unless you've already learned the style. A catch 22.

I seen brawlers fight, if one was to claim they know/teach Xingyi, how would one (per newcomer) know if that is legit.

See my point is even if a teacher was not legit he could still have a lot of knowledge about lineages and such. If I were a newcomer how could i tell? Even if I researched it on the web, that wouldn't help. I'd have to learn proper Xingyi in order to spot the fake. People can fill your head with great theory all they want but if they can't do it then they can't teach it.

Now, dont get me wrong, I mean no offence. But you don't strike me as knowing all about Xingyi. Most instructors/masters, per system such as this, will have their student learn about the system, not just a fighting aspect. Therefore, your instructor has either:

A.) Not taught you and had you had not leared this.

B.) He, himself, doesn't know.

A thorough check is needed.

Caveat Emptor

I don't understand how you came to this conclussion. You haven't asked me a single question about Xingyi. I thought I explained the sources for the material was given but i couldn't recall. One source is Willem de Thouars or "Uncle Bill". If you don't know who he is its kind of meaningless to mention him. If i dazzled you with my knowledge of chinese history and language would you believe i study good Xingyi.

I was hoping this would be a thread about actual Xingyi training and application. Why don't you share what information you have and I'll tell you if thats different from what i practice.

Sorry,

Again do not take to offence. I am a little confused on your post:

I don't know their translations or history/hierarchy. I do have an instructor and I know we get the info from a couple of different sources. Some directly from china others from xingyi instructors here. So I don't know the exact lineage. Their philosophy for fighting is to be aggresive and to stay on the offensive.

Thus is not a conclusion of mine, but a misinterpretation? I mean, you do not know the translation of XingYi? Or you know it, but can't remember?

And you are so right about:

See my point is even if a teacher was not legit he could still have a lot of knowledge about lineages and such. If I were a newcomer how could i tell? Even if I researched it on the web, that wouldn't help. I'd have to learn proper Xingyi in order to spot the fake. People can fill your head with great theory all they want but if they can't do it then they can't teach it.

All right i looked in my notes Xingyi=form mind boxing or Intellectual boxing.

I didn't want to look this up before because so many of these threads turns into "thats not how you translate that name its this slightly different way." I didn't want to argue symantecs. I wanted to see what other people did in their training, and what their experiences was like.

Yes, a little. One of my Chinese Shifus, had a Shifu that taught it. The problem is, my Shifu, like many others, cross trained and developed their own "family" system. Theirs, which only goes back a mere 125 or so years.

So of course, I am excited to see someone else in discussion of it. Of course I am going to ask many questions. Of course, I came across many whom claimed, but were not. And yes, again you are COMPLETELY right to say:

Very grand indeed.

I read some of your other posts so I know your one of those lineage freaks. If your interested you should do some research on Willem de Thouars since a lot of our stuff comes from him.

I asked about baji earlier because i heard their was a lot of variety within that system. In Xingyi most of the training focoses on holding the Xingyi postures and doing the Xingyi lines. Which are the five elements metal, water, wood, fire and earth. as well as other chi gung excercises to stregtghen the body. Then there are different methods to do the lines. most of the xingyi i so at my level is suppose to build up the body and the legs.

I read some of your other posts so I know your one of those lineage freaks. If your interested you should do some research on Willem de Thouars since a lot of our stuff comes from him.

I asked about baji earlier because i heard their was a lot of variety within that system. In Xingyi most of the training focoses on holding the Xingyi postures and doing the Xingyi lines. Which are the five elements metal, water, wood, fire and earth. as well as other chi gung excercises to stregtghen the body. Then there are different methods to do the lines. most of the xingyi i so at my level is suppose to build up the body and the legs.