• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Advice Please: Beginner, Which Style for 'me'?

Thanks again for the info and links :-)

Is this a really bad idea?.. Learning from someone who is interested in starting out in teaching themselves? I think I'd much rather not go to a class full of people!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still think you'd be better off going to some classes, even if you have private lessons as well. You're missing out on a lot by only training with one person.

As a beginner you could really do with exposure to other beginners and other martial artists.

Try and find a small martial arts club - you'll probably be happier with less people in a class.

Even if you learn from someone who is just starting out as a teacher (which isn't necessarily a bad thing) it'd do you good to mix with other students.

Plus, if the person who would be teaching you becomes sucessful in teaching they may not want to or have time to give you private lessons anymore and may insist that you join in with the regular class.

I'd really urge you to conquor your fears of training with other people and give it a go. Everyone has to start out as a beginner, so people will most probably be sympathetic and understanding if you make mistakes.

Plus, as I said before, the other people in the class will be far too busy concentrating on what they are doing to be gawping at the new guy.

Good luck in your search for a club! :karate:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Thanks Aefbird

I would move onto proper classes once I felt a bit more comfortable :-) but by the look of it, I wont have much choice anyway as I guess I would be hard pressed to find a 1to1 instructer. (You offering? jus kidding!).

I'm going to do my best to go 'watch' a few classess and get a feel for the set up of each club. However I am a little worried that (as in all areas of life) some people are just into instructing for the money side of it and are not really bothered about really[/] getting the most out of thier students, hence me thinking an enthusiast would be a more dedicated teacher...

I wont have much choice anyway as I guess I would be hard pressed to find a 1to1 instructer. (You offering? jus kidding!).

Well, I'd offer to teach you if ya like, but South Yorkshire is a bit far from Wales for me to get on a regular basis...;)

Yes, unfortunately, as in many areas of life, the martial arts are beset with people out to make as much £££ as possible with little regard to their students.

Try to find a club that has a long history or is well know in the area. Also, when visiting clubs, enquire roughly how long it takes to get to black belt. If they 'garuantee' that you will get to black belt then that is a bit suspect, as is any assertations that you can get your black belt in 2 years (or even less).

Also, check out whether a potential club is registered with any governing body or parent organisation. If they're not, it's not a bad thing - some instructors prefer not to be registered with any organisation - but if a club is, then it gives you an opportunity to check out credentials and instructor grades etc.

When thinking of joining a club beware of hidden charges, such as the fact that they may wish you to buy a uniform from them or that their testing fees may cost the earth. Check also how much you'd have to pay to be registered to any parent organisation that the club belongs to, and if you have to pay to register every time you get another grade (I know of one scam school that charges for grading, charges for belts, charges for registration of the grade and still expects a big tip for the examiner if a person passes).

Plus, be wary of any school offering a free gift or free uniform to join. Such a martial arts club isn't necessarily bad - their instruction may be excellent - but you can be certain that the 'free gift' won't be free at all; the cost will be met by bumping up other charges elsewhere.

I don't know if it's the same in your area, but round where I live I've tended to find that the "McDojo's" and "belt factory" type clubs are the ones that have the biggest and flashiest advertising.

Generally (in South Yorkshire, anyway) the better MA clubs are the ones that are quietly run out of small, cramped places with little advertising, except by word of mouth.

My own karate instructor does not advertise (except the website, which isn't advertising anyway - it's there more for the benefit of current members) but yet has a waiting list of new people wanting to join the beginners classes.

My Aikido instructor will not take people exept on personal recommendation of current or respectable past members, yet his club is always packed to the rafters.

Sheesh, it's another essay again! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Well, I'd offer to teach you if ya like, but South Yorkshire is a bit far from Wales for me to get on a regular basis...;)

That's very kind of you Aefi, something tells me you are a bit of an :angel:

Shame teleportation does not exist (u mastered that yet!?)

I'm going to do as you say and try to go to as many 'schools' as possible. I think I will in particular, see how I 'connect' with the instructor/sifu as I feel without this we would not be able to give each other 100%. This will probably sound stupidly spiritual, but I think I will instinctively know when I find the right school/teacher/style.

You are probably quite right about the ones that advertise the most are probably the ones that are the least best. It's always good to have a website - the net is a very powerful and useful tool (I'd be lost without it!).

Thanks once again for the essays, they were appreciated and read in full! Also if you find yourself to one day be relocated in South Wales... PM me and perhaps you could give me a few lessons!

Btw just watched that BNP documentary on BBC1 - scary stuff!

That's very kind of you Aefi, something tells me you are a bit of an :angel:

*blushes* well, I try my best... :lol:

Shame teleportation does not exist (u mastered that yet!?)

Ah, I'm still working on that one - it's a project for my 2nd Dan, along with being able to walk up walls and have x-ray vision. :D

Sheffield Steelers!

... have x-ray vision. :D

Now wouldn't that come in handy ;-)

Not that I'd use the ability to look at/thro things I shouldn't tho :brow:

(bet u would!)

nah, course I wouldn't... I'm an :angel: remember?? :D

Sheffield Steelers!

I'm an :angel: remember?? :D

Oh yes - I forgot! :blush:

What u doing up so late anyways?

Angels are normaly example setters? :P

I was up so late because I just got back from my nightly watch fighting crime... *ahem*.

Actually, Fridays are my take-away and beer nights. Eeek, my halo has just slipped a bit there.

Anyway, to get back on topic...

Have you been to see any MA schools yet or are you still looking for clubs?

Sheffield Steelers!