• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

High School Wrestling

The coaches should have recognized what he could do, instead of what he shouldn't have been doing. Coaches aren't necessarily supposed to be looking for wrestling talent, as they are supposed to be training people who possess the 'mental' skills necessary to compete.

It may be there was something else the coaches saw, that you didn't... such as a disrespect of rules or an unwillingness to listen to authority.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, he probably should've found out the rules before he tried out.

Instructor:"You're not gonna be able to see if you don't cut your hair."

"Haha. Too bad."

"A martial artist who has never sparred is like a swimmer who has never entered water."

-Bruce Lee

I have to say dont plan on seeing Jiu Jitsu classes offered in high school any sooner then you will see Karate classes.

The liability risk is so high and in such a litigious society i dont think it will happen

• 3 weeks later...

last year i was on my high school's wrestling team ( it was my first year, gr.9). I must say from what i saw, most people just go for the double leg take down. There were some a lot of Judokas on thei high school's wrestling team, and i must say they're really good. they won most of their fights by doing throws which stunned their opponents when they got to the ground making it very easy to pin them. It's hard to do Judo throws on wrestlers because first of all they don't wear Gi's and second, the stance. The wrestling stance is really low, so it's kinda hard to do throws. Next year, im going to do a lot of throws, now that i acyually study Judo and im learning a lot of throws, so im going to be way more experienced. Last year I just went for the double leg take downs, but next year, Im going to use JUDO on the wrestlers :D

- A coward dies a thousand deaths, A warrior dies but once.

- No matter how strong the wind is, The mountain cannot bow to it.

You shouldn't be seeing too many double leg takedowns unless their is an uneven matchup.

I've had quite a bit of wrestling experience and not too much Jiu Jitsu experience. From my brief comparison time frame, there are certain aspects of wrestling I need to unlearn and its a bit harder than I expected it to be to unlearn. Fortunately, other aspects of the crossover have more than made up for it, but I think the most important thing is the competitiveness of wrestling has really helped me.

What weight will you be wrestling at?

I never was big into the throws, but if they are working for you use them. Hopefully you will get a good coach because that makes a huge difference. My first 7 years I had average coaches, but my final 4 I had a former olympic wrestler, who had led several schools to state championships, as my coach.

Oh, one more thing. Wear your head gear at all times possible. It may seem like a hassle and you may get made fun of, but don't end up like me with messed up ears.

I'm kind of considering joining my HS wrestling team...there are a few drawbacks, several of which include:

-I would be the only girl

-Mr. Cruise (from the "do you believe in true love?" thread) is a wrestler

-They have a very running-intensive program , and I have serious running issues. I'm working on resolving those, though

But...anyway, in regards to the original post:

My HS puts out a wrestling magazine that is supposed to be very, very good. In fact, it's #1 among HS wrestling magazines, apparently. If you can find it (I think it's Blue Storm or Mercersburg Wrestling or something) or other HS wrestling mags, you could gain some insight to the sport.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• 3 weeks later...

hahaha. they are VERY scary. i wear spandex bike shorts under the uniform so i'm not too 'revealing'. i usually stuff with a sock to impress the ladies though.

"Give me back my sandals or i'm keeping your nephew's hamster..."- Bruce Lee