• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Weapon Competition

Joecooke007

I recently taped the iska weapons competition on t.v. and I was wondering why they kiyai so loud and long. If you have ever been to a weapons comp. I thought you would know and could tell me so that I may be more enlightened. :karate:

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Joe

I did not see this competition, but at my last competition, where I used a staff, I kiai-ed long and loud.

Why? Well, I imagine what I am doing. The last kiai in Shu-shi-no-kon (a bo kata) is a thrust to the throat. Therefore, a finishing move.

I imagined I was really thrusting someone to the throat.

However, when I practice Nunchaku Kata, the kiai-s are on jabs, which are not as powerful moves (well, they're powerful, but not really dynamic). I just utter a quick "EEEE" when doing these kiai-s.

Hope this helps

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

the way I see it is if you kiai on any technique whether a short kia or a long kia, the technique will feel and will probably be stronger, the louder and the more the kiai comes from the abdomen.

I think of this when practising Kata! helps me a lot

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

Joe I have seen the tape of the competition you are referring to. Some of the kiai's are for show, some are for getting the attention of the judges and audience. Partly it sets a mood.

There is a fairly big difference in the way a tournament kata is done and the way forms are practiced. There are places in katas where there are supposed to be kiais to denote a strike like Tobias said. In tournaments things get ummmmmmm amplified. More things are added for showiness. Make any sense?

yeah I get what your saying.I supose it all boils down to the way you train and compete, everyone has diferent styles and ways of doing things, and this is a good example.Thanx for sharing your point on the subject Sai

Anthony Bullock

1st Dan Black Belt - Shotokan Karate

5th Kyu Yellow Belt - Aiki-Jutsu

https://www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon

I have been to a lot of tournaments, and it's not only the weapons divisions that display (sometimes) the extremely long and loud Kia's, the only time I was instructed to do em is halfway through the kata and at the end..fini..I agree with the others as far as the way were taught and getting the attention of the judges, I also got a sneaky suspicion that it can be used to catch your stamina back in lieu of the the actual physical movement of the forms performance...

:wink:

Best regards,

Jack Makinson

• 4 weeks later...