• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this site and now I am worried after reading this. I am currently a red belt with ony 3 more test till I receive my Black Belt. My worry is I have been studying for about 1.5 years so far and think maybe I am going to fast? I know my first 7 forms front to back and mixed with my eyes shut and start and stop in the same place. I hit good and kick better. Not sure if I am advancing to fast or not.

February 24, 2007 I received my Black Belt in WTF TKD.

I am new to this site and now I am worried after reading this. I am currently a red belt with ony 3 more test till I receive my Black Belt. My worry is I have been studying for about 1.5 years so far and think maybe I am going to fast? I know my first 7 forms front to back and mixed with my eyes shut and start and stop in the same place. I hit good and kick better. Not sure if I am advancing to fast or not.

Welcome to the forum, frightmaster!

Your question may be more appropriate for the following topic:

How long SHOULD it take for your black belt?

The journey to BB is different for everyone but 1.5 years does seem rather quick. However, you say you are 3 tests away....I'm guessing 6 months per test at this level so that would make another 1.5 years for a total of 3. Still a quick journey but not uncommon. On the flip side, if your school promotes students too quickly and their skills are less than another school of a similar style that could be a sign of danger and you may want to consider you options.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

My master has told me that my speed is because of how fast I learn forms. As I stated I know them with my eyes shut literally and I stop in the same place where I start. He said he would not believe it if he did not see it himself. I have sparred people from other schools in controlled enviroments and I do pretty well. I mostly study TKD for the art and not to fight so I am not woried.

I'm a bit biased towards a longer time span before BB, but as it has been pointed out that long training periods doesn't necessarily make good practitioners. It depends on what your school's requirements for BB are, how many times you go into class a week, how much time spent training is quality time, etc etc.

If you're training a full system with everything from basic kicking to forms, one steps, self defense, all different modes of sparring, etc etc then yeah I'd be worried if I were you. The definition of a BB has changed in recent years - some have killed alot of requirements to get people promoted faster, others have added a ridiculous amount in to say that they don't promote people really fast, some have even promoted students only based on competition results. Levels of proficiency that are represented by a black belt vary so much these days.

So you are a little skeptical of how long you've been training regardless of all the work you've put in so far. I'd say that's respectable and that not many BB these days think about that. I am going to assume that as a practitioner of your art, you want it to be strong and represented well. If that is the case, even though you have trained hard and met these requirements in 1.5 years, think about how much better you will be after another 2.5 years. If you believe that you know your forms inside out backwards and forwards, think of how well you will know them 2.5 years into the future. Then think about how much better you can represent your art with the added training time.

People will tell you to go at your own pace, and that some advance more quickly than others. That is true assuming that you just want to get the BB. But if you want to really make sure you earn it, and that you can represent your art well - if you feel you need more time, then take it. MMAChamp's signature says it all - "A black belt only covers two inches of your rear... the rest is up to you" (or something like that, its a Gracie quote I think).

I love the quote. I do take my art to heart. I feel it represents me and my spirit in everything I do. I noticed that without even thinking I am much more curtious to others. I am more respectfull to opinions that may not agree with mine. My work ethic in the office has greatly improved. I believe it is all do to my training and studying of the art. I am excited to see were I will be in 2.5 years and even in 10 years from now. It is a little scary to thinking of all I am achived in what feels like a short amount of time. I do put in a lot of time and training so maybe it is paying off.

exactly - sometimes its not just about getting to the skill level and saying "right now im good enough i get my black belt" - sometimes its about waiting for it

excellent points everyone. in my old art, Soo Bahk Do, it took 4 years before you were even allowed to test for BB. the longer time period forces you to become dedicated to the art and not just grab a belt hang it on your wall and quit.

2nd Dan Soo Bahk Do. Dan Bon - 36884