• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long did it take for your black belt

... this is one of the problems with Tae Kwon Do these days. ... people seem to get their blackbelts very quickly, which does not seem natural to me. ... It takes a lot of practice to become proficient ... - it takes years. Perhaps there are not a lot of techniques in Tae Kwon Do

You're right that some TKD students make 1st Dan rather quickly when compared to other styles. The way it was explained to me is: 1st Dan means "novice." You've got the basics down, and now you can really start learning.

Now comes the part you're talking about where proficience takes years. To reach 4th Dan, for example, takes a long time, but by that point you would certainly have mastered your technique.

There are tons of techniques in TKD, but many masters perfect only the few that serve them best. After all, when push comes to fight, it's not about having a huge repertoire of techniques that you can show off -- it's about delivering devastating power with great speed and accuracy.

My two cents worth, anyway...

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ravenzoom wrote:

... this is one of the problems with Tae Kwon Do these days. ... people seem to get their blackbelts very quickly, which does not seem natural to me. ... It takes a lot of practice to become proficient ... - it takes years.

I agree totally... I think even my school tests BB a little too fast (prolly around 3 years is my guess on average)

Even if a gifted student comes in, making them wait a bit longer ain't gonna hurt. A little paitence builds character anyways...

I guess now that I'll be able to test for my BB in about just under 2 years from now (I've been training for about 1 year and 5 months)...

Even then I think I'll wait another 6 mon to 1 year....

My g/f is goal oriented and she thinks opposite to me. She'd rather have her BB sooner.... to which I say...

I'd rather be a solid coloured belt then a piss poor BB...

Teachers can only do so much... I think we as students have to learn a little more paitence and realize our own limitations and mental readiness...

I think your instructors were right to make you wait longer. Don't take it personally anyone, but this is one of the problems with Tae Kwon Do these days. I'm sure ITF can be street effective (from what I hear on this forum), but people seem to get their blackbelts very quickly, which does not seem natural to me. Someone even mentioned a year and a few months, I really don't think this should happen in any martial arts. It takes a lot of practice to become proficient where you don't think about the moves they just come naturally - it takes years. Perhaps there are not a lot of techniques in Tae Kwon Do, I don't know, but I doubt it. I suspect that some dojos give blackbelts to people who perhaps are not black belt material. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my perception as of now on this subject.

Yeah, I agree. I appreciated my instructors for not promoting me until I was truly ready. However, as a green belt and onward, it felt rather strange beating up some of my black belt friends that took training at other schools. :D

Ted

I've been going to my karate school for about 10 months and I'm only a purple belt.... my instructor makes it so we're sick of our techiniques before we can test to move on.

Ju Jitsu

Kenpo

Pressure Point Fighting

Capoeira

I'm happy to see that people didn't blast me for my last post, but actually agreed on what I was saying. In no means did I want to bash Tae Kwon Do, on the contrary I defended it on other threads. However, like slydermv wrote, you must also be mentally prepared and this takes a long time in my opinion. And I further agree with slydermv on this quote

I'd rather be a solid coloured belt then a * poor BB...

Because being a blackbelt is something very important in our western society, so only very proficient martial artists should hold one - in order to keep respect in martial arts.

it took my daughter almost 4 years to make black belt in TSD, even if your are very talented I do not think the same information or expeience can be conveyed in 2 years, JMHO

Tang Soo

MB 8)

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, the way I was taught, holders of any dan grade should have an excellent prowess in their chosen style.

TKD is not the only style that sometimes just views their dan grade as an "end of basic training".

It took me 6 years to attain my 1st dan, but when you attend seminars or visit other clubs or in competitions, surely you would want your dan grades to be as good as another clubs dan grades?

Holding a black belt isn't a case of just "knowing the moves", you should also have a good amount of experience, physical strength, technical ability and confidence in combat.

The more I train, the more I see the errors in my technique :(

• 2 weeks later...

It took me about 1 1/2 years in my current style (ATA TKD) to get my BB, but I came into the system as a blue belt already.

If you go from when I started MA, it took me about 7 years, but I trained in several different styles before I found one that really suited me. I started for a year in Shotokan, moved, started in Kenpo, got about 15 months into it and moved again. Had about a year and half each in ITF, WTF, and a brief 5 month foray into Capoeira. Been with the ATA since 2000, 1st degree in May 2001, and am currently a 2nd degree with a little over a year to go for my 3rd degree.

Aodhan

There are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into the other.

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

It took almost me almost exactly 2.5 years. I've heard of situations where someone had to wait 10 years to test. I could never wait that long.

Queen Padme: "So this is how Democracy dies-with thunderous applause."

Annikin Skywalker: "You're either with me or against me!"

Obi-won Kenobi: "That is the Way of the Sith!"

It took me just under 3.5 years and that was w/ advancing as quickly as I could in our style and circumstances. There are going to be differences depending on your school. However, if you start at a school and the instructor tells you he can guarantee you a black belt in 2 year for a nominal fee of $XXXX for that time frame, give me a call I'll beat his price and have a black belt shipped to you next week :D

Getting a blackbelt just says you have learned the basics and are ready to actually study the form as an art.