• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long did it take for your black belt

It took me about two and a half years to get my Cho Dan. I tested on the tenth of this month!

TANG SOO!!! & SEMPER FI!!!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not counting my training in Tang Soo Do (1 year, 3 months) .... I've been training 3 1/2 years in TKD. I'm still a red belt (2nd gup). If all goes well, I will be testing (FINALLY :D ) for high red (1st gup) in July.

But then again, I'm in no rush. I have a lot of techniques to clean up (in my opinion).

TSD Y049, how'd you get your BB so soon in TSD? My old TSD school, it would have taken 4 years IF you tested and passed every test, and regularly attended classes. Most TSD schools that I know of are also like that. I'm not slamming. Just curious.

Laurie F

The seinor dan in our dojang trained for three years before she got hers. I don't know exactly why but I would guess it is because I went for 3 hours a day, 4 days a week, for a year, but I don't truley know!

Dusty

TANG SOO!!! & SEMPER FI!!!

Dusty Sawyer,

Ee Dan, Tang Soo Do,

Young Marine Cpl.

"Those who do not battle for their country do not know with what ease they accept their citizenship in America" Dan Beralis, Veitnam Jouranlist

Started TKD in Sep 87 earned 1st Deg iMay 1st , '89

But I'd been training iregularly in MA's since may of '79. I was already a 3rd kyu in Karate (six Years) and a 2nd gup in MDK TSD (tested into TSD as a 3rd gup after about 3 months of cramming. Six months later I tested for 2nd Gup.)

I crammed for two months and came into TKD as a 5th gade Green Belt. I was in the military at the time. When I wasn't busy doing my bit for the Corps I was in the dojang - The only Marine in a class full of sailors hehehe....)

I received my BB in TKD 10yrs to the day that I first stepped into a dojo. I was eligible a year later to test for 2nd degree but I didn't because I was leaving my school (Finished my tour in the Corps and was leaving the area)

Went back to TSD and after a year of training was eligible to test for 1st with the MDK. But left after a political split in the dojo. Two years later I was a month shy of being eligible to test for 2nd degree in the United TSD Federation.

The funny thing is the hardest tests physically was my 3rd kyu brown belt test in Karate (about 6 hours long - and a cracked nose recieved in kumite) and my green belt test in Shorinji Kempo (alll the basics, 9 kata, about 40 self defense techs, several rounds of kumite, board breaking and then a 30minute horse stance)

Looking back I'd have to say that in the beginning I was in a hurry to test. However, since I've earned my BB I've come to realize the real test is in the day-to-day training...

Ben Kendrick

"The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle..."

If all goes well, it would only take me 1 year and 4 months to reach my black belt. I hope that it goes well, but if i don't then I can't complain. I work hard and I want to make things good for myself.

Life is a book, you have to read it to achieve it- invent your own novel

I earned a black belt in Ji Do Kwan Tae Kwon Do many years ago. It about me about six and a half years of continuous study to do so. My instructors were very old school!

However, after a 12 year layoff from martial arts, I am a white belt again in two martial arts, Isshin-ryu Karate and Kodokan Judo. :D

Ted

I think your instructors were right to make you wait longer. Don't take it personally anyone, but this is one of the problems with Tae Kwon Do these days. I'm sure ITF can be street effective (from what I hear on this forum), but people seem to get their blackbelts very quickly, which does not seem natural to me. Someone even mentioned a year and a few months, I really don't think this should happen in any martial arts. It takes a lot of practice to become proficient where you don't think about the moves they just come naturally - it takes years. Perhaps there are not a lot of techniques in Tae Kwon Do, I don't know, but I doubt it. I suspect that some dojos give blackbelts to people who perhaps are not black belt material. Sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my perception as of now on this subject.

it took me 7 years and some change to get Cho Dan, I decided to go back to college in the middle

after that

2 tears to Ee Dan

3 years to Sam Dan test, just tested last week

My son was 6 years to Cho Dan, after that regular TSD waits he'll test for Sam Dan in Oct

My daughter 3.5 years for Cho Dan and test for Ee Dan in Oct

I guess my son and I are just slow learners, I think if you make all your tests 3.5 years is the quickest you can test for Cho Dan.

My brother trains in TKD in Virginia and he said he will be testing for Cho Dan in about 2 years total training time

Tang Soo

mike :D

Edited by MJB55