• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long did it take for your black belt

it's taken four and a half years but i'm still a youngin so i have a long time for ma's

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me 6 years to get Black Belt, but I was 11 years old when I got Cho Dan. At my school, they did't like to test people when they were that young, so I had to go through extensive evaluation by may instructor, his instructor, and his instructor. Then it took me three more years to get E-Dan. I got E-Dan in 1996, stopped training in 98, started back again in 2003 and now I have to wait until fall 2006 to get Sam Dan. So I would have been an E-Dan for a decade,

i go to one instructional class and one sparring class a week. sometime a morning instructional class

it looks like i might make 3 years, where it usually takes 3.5

but then again i spend alot of time out of class training. i would go alot more but the belt system is really time orientated, so things get a bit frustrating. i once had a belt that was only for 3 months and i learned the curriculum in a month, they wouldnt let me test so i took 2 months off and still got my next belt at test.

i think 3.5 years is standard in the U.S.

the funny thing is that i know im wrong and i know your right, yet you keep argueing like it will change my mind. you should really know, you dont have to be right to win:)

• 3 weeks later...

3 and a half like most here for 1st dan. (It takes at least 3 at my school.) Then I stopped going to classes for about five years and studied Jeet Koon Do and Capoeira instead. (Every martial artist should look into JKD.) Just passed my scond Dan test last month, a year after returning to class. I guess I should be a fourth Dan if I had stayed on track, but belts are just to keep your pants up anyway.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

• 2 weeks later...
I got mine in 3 and a half years, but i was also training hard, and going 4-5 days a week, and i also have the natural ability for it. So im just wondering if i got it too fast or is this how fast TKD practicioners usually get it?

got my 2nd degree black belt after 8.5 years. started at about 3 yrs old.

When seen by the hawk, the rabbit's life is ended;when my arrow flies, my enemy is already dead.

• 4 months later...