• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long did it take for your black belt

the test went pretty well, harder than I expected though. definitely felt pushed. I was disappointed with the last three forms I did, bong hyung il bu, e bu and gan dam hyung (two staff forms and knife form)... i was really out of gas at that point but i pushed though as best i could.. :o heck, after all the stories I've heard from some of the school's black belts about coming out of a Dan test with broken legs, dislocated shoulders, etc, i was just happy I came out relatively uninjured (just a broken toe). It was cool though, a real good experience.

Cho Dan - Tang Soo Do

Miller Tang Soo Do Institute

https://www.mtsdi.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After training 4 times a week 3 hours a day, I received my first dan in 2.5 years. Speed of achievement was not what I was looking for. I put in the time when I had a lot to give and I am thankful. I was a kid who needed something to do and tae kwon do was it. Now I am a W.T.F. 5th dan, and I love tae kwon do more now than when I started. Tae kwon do has allowed me to travel the world and open my eyes to the many people who practice it, like this forum.

Keep kicking everybody!

"And it is this lack of fear that makes for the dance" - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

(https://www.loudounmartialarts.com)

it took 4 years to Cho Dan (1989)

Another 2 years after that I was an E Dan (1991)

Another 3 years to Sam Dan (1994)

and 10 years later I got my Sah Dan master's belt (2004)

But to be fair, that test takes a minimum of 3 years to complete in our system, so technically I first started the test for Sah Dan in 2002.

I only point this out to show that the time to first Dan really doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I tested by the book for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Dan, but I still had to put my time and contribution in before testing for my Sah Dan.

I fully expect that it will be at least 7-8 years before I test again, but I'm okay with that.

it took me 4.5 years to get my 1st dan (shoulda been 3.5 but i fell out with my instructor).

then another 6 years til i took my 2nd dan (could have done it in 2 years but was in no hurry despite training every day)

I've been a 2nd dan for 3years and plan to take my 3rd dan around christmas time.

I could have been a 4th degree 'master' by now but I really can't see how i will ever master tkd, I train 4 times a week and every lesson i learn more and more and realise my potential.

Taekwondo forever, just love it!!!

Bretty

I should test around march 05 which will put me at around 4.5 years going twice a week and assistant teaching once a week for the next 7 months. The average in my dojo is around 5 years...

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

wow, i trained everyday, for at least 6 hours.....for about 6 yrs....and i was a very fast learner....one of the top students of my style. We take along time to reach black belt status in my original art. There are guys there that have been brown for up to 5 yrs and still training at least 2 time a week!

Other styles that i have taken after my original went VERY fast.

shotokan, asahi ryu, moodukkwon tangsoodo, kickboxing, muay thai, kyokushin, 13 weapons system, ninpo budo taijutsu, ITF and WTF TKD, i recieved all within one year!

Kajukenbo took a bit longer, about a year and a half.

granted my training in the first art made me extrememly knowledgeable and able to quickly advance through the numerous other arts that i studied....even mantis and tiget kung fu....after training with the master for a summer he told me that i had already reached master status, my previous training made me so knowledgeable about the arts that my mental understanding allowed me to be classified as a master....that was an honor!

today...well i still study what ever i can....some kuk sool won....but the current instructors arent keeping me too interested, what a pity...

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I got a Hapkido black belt in about 5 years. It took about 1.5 to 2 years of TKD training for me to get a black belt in that. (Many of the basics from hapkido transferred over without much difficulty, it was mostly an issue of cleaning up my technique and learning forms) If it concerned me, I would be second degree in TKD, and probably second degree in Hapkido. I tend to train hard for 6 months to a year at a time though before getting bored for a few months, wash rinse repeat.

I took 5 years to get my black, however, i could have gone for it after 2 - 2.5. the reason i didnt was that there was a minimum number of certain types of training you had to do to qualify. I hadnt qualified, even tho i had the skill, i could not test.

by the time i qualified i was in the middle of my SACE the equivilant of the S.A.T in the US. when i finished that i took some time off then went for it. passed with flying colours.

Be on the look out for my article when it finally gets published for the full story.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu