• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is an appropriate parting gift for my first student?

My first student is going to be leaving in a couple of months as he is going off to college. He's been with me from the start of my teaching career for almost nine years. Since it is out of state, I am pretty sure I won't see him for 4 years if he decides to come back after that.

I want to get him a parting gift but I can't think of anything. Anyone else been in this situation or have seen this situation done before that could give me some tips?

Thanks!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry. He'll be back sooner. What I mean is, I visit my first dojang when I visit home every year (once or twice a year). And it's like I never left. The same folks are there (for the most part ... depending on the day of the week), and we train like it was yesterday.

As far as gifts go, just show him how much you care and thank him. Welcome him back anytime he visits. That will be a "gift." :)

Laurie F

do you know what he will be studying? If he's studying film, buy him a book on film. If it's Russia, get him a Russian dictionary, etc... Getting him a book related to his studies would be a great idea for a college student (i'm a college student, so I'm biased).

All good ideas so far, but if you think about it, he's been with you for 9 years...I think you've given the best gift you could give him all ready. His training.

Personally, I wouldn't think "material gifts", as in a going away present. A good lunch with him where your kind words about how much you've enjoyed him as a student...yadda yadda...that sort of thing will mean more to him, and that he's welcome to come back and train again whenever he's home for a visit.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

This is not the same situation but I was with my instructor for 10 years and i was his prodigy and when he had to leave he gave me something that ment a great deal to him. He gave me his first black belt (by the way I already had one). Now I know alot of people my not like that kind of thing but as a sixteen year old kid that looked to this man as a father it was the greatest thing I could ever have gotten (material thing at leats). I have woren that belt since that day. I've gotten others because of rank but this one will the one that means the most to me. Hopefully I will be able to pass it down to someone one day, that is if it doesn't fall apart first.

"Way of the intercepting fist to your floating ribs, Leave your

guard open again and get a second hit. Breathe in through the nose out

the mouth I admire your courage for trying to come and duke it out." RED CLOUD - "When Kenpo Strikes"