• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Some black belts are just to cocky

RONIN W

You know, most of the schools I've seen, in a lot of different systems, require their higher ranking colored belts to get experience teaching to prepare for being a Blk Blt. Not necessarily taking over the whole class, but teaching or leading certain portions or groups, and working with students who might be having a hard time. That is part of the idea for a Jr BB rank. The kid may be too young to take on that responsibility. When he can, he gets the chance prior to getting his full BB. Promoting kids when too young to handle the authority and defference that goes with the rank encourages bad attitudes. 16 is the absolute youngest I think a person should get a full BB, and then only for someone that is recognized to have the maturity and understanding for the position. I'd really prefer them waiting untill 18-21. Or just do away with colored belts and get your Blk awarded when the senior instructor or master thinks you are ready, physically, mentally, emotionally, and in your skills and understanding.

Freedom isn't free!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to know what to say here. We're obviously only getting one side of the story, which is the case on most forum topics. The originator of this post did seem to have quite an attitude for never having done any real training. It leaves me wondering what else was said during or before class. There are a number of reasons that this could have happened. Maybe the instructor got wind of the attitude and wanted to see how the new guy would handle a situation like this. Who knows.

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

• 1 month later...

When reading this, I am reminded of how much being a teenager sucked. People are just mean to each other. :-?

People do Karate for different reasons. I started Karate for exercise and relaxation. Others do it for self-defense. Most adolescents do not recognize the tremedous value in teaching their skills to others and learning to positively critique others. At that age, I know I didn't. I was mean to a lot of people back in high school. I like to think that I grew out of my ignorance.

The best you can do is ignore such individuals. If you start thinking, "I can take this black belt," then you've already missed the point and lost the mental encounter. Maybe you can, maybe you can't. At that point, you are now thinking of combative outcomes, and you are no longer considering any other logical alternatives to your issue.

Jarrett Meyer

"The only source of knowledge is experience."

-- Albert Einstein

Sounds like this school could use a little adult supervision

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

It's hard to know what to say here. We're obviously only getting one side of the story, which is the case on most forum topics. The originator of this post did seem to have quite an attitude for never having done any real training. It leaves me wondering what else was said during or before class. There are a number of reasons that this could have happened. Maybe the instructor got wind of the attitude and wanted to see how the new guy would handle a situation like this. Who knows.

Agreed, however, i don't think that anyone, especially a Black Belt, should be making comments about others in the class. Drunken Monkey was saying that she'd be even meaner. I think that the original poster may have had an attitude, but that doesnt mean that the Black Belt should be calling names.

i am not a she.

anyway.

my point was, if you are a beginner (to the class),

with dubious background,

with an attitude problem

and i was asked to pair with you to show you forms,

something you don't seem to want to do,

then that is a waste of my time.

i would be hard on you to do things properly

because i would like to think that i'm not wasting my time.

should i be more patient?

maybe.

but if you aren't giving me everything you've got, then it is kinda my job to get you to give me everything you've got.

if i don't, then it would be me who is wasting your time.

would it be better if i was all nice and soft and say things like

'yes, that's good.....' when it isn't?

in any case.

the guy who posted this hasn't been back for ages.

looks like this is something else he can't stick at for long.....

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I think everyone assumed you were a she by the picture you had posted as your avatar before the one you have now. I remembered you referring to yourself in the masculine in a post a while back if it makes you feel any better. :wave:

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

....yeah, i know.

that pic of the girl.

looks like she'll be haunting me for a loooong time.

in more ways than one......

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."