• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

not only does kiyuping give more power, but also a sense of style.

i want a different kiyup since "eyyyy" sounds plain. all my masters have all these cool sounding kiyups and i want mine to be unique. but i need some ideas first.

whats ur kiyup sound?

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I was always taught that the kihap should come from the danjun (or diaphragm) and be quick and sharp to expel air quickly.

A lot of kihaps seems to come the throat and are long and drawn out like:

"bashoooooooooooooo!"

or worse:

"eeeeeeeyyyaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (cough, cough, asphixiate)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

Try to understand the kihap for what it is. A 'spirit shout', a sharp forceful exhalation.

While movie kihaps (Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, etc...) sound 'cool', there is really no emphasis gained (maybe intimidation, but who knows)

I know of an excercise that will help you develop your kihap.

We do this at the end of our dan classes. At the end of class, line up in one straight line, from senior to junior. Starting from the junior member work your way down to the senior member. Stop in front of each one of your seniors, and assume a horse stance. They will execute a technique (reverse punch) at your abdomen (not the solar-plexus please!!). If you kihap properly when receiving each strike, you'll know its working, because it shouldn't really hurt. If you're not kihapping properly, then your abdomen won't feel so great.

• 1 month later...

I was always taught that the kihap should come from the danjun (or diaphragm) and be quick and sharp to expel air quickly.

A lot of kihaps seems to come the throat and are long and drawn out like:

"bashoooooooooooooo!"

or worse:

"eeeeeeeyyyaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (cough, cough, asphixiate)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

That sounds pretty funny when you actually think about it . :lol:. My kihap sounds like "kiooh". I've been trying to change it but it sounds even wrose when I try. :kaioken:

TKD RULES!!!

Yellow/Green Belt aka High-Yellow

• 6 months later...

I have a very strong Karate background, so apparently my kiyup makes me sound like a tiger when I am fighting someone.

He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened.

- Tao Te Ching

"Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain."

- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

There's a lot more to it than making a noise, tommarker is right. That being said, I've heard some hysterical ones. One guy I knew would make a sound like "t-hice" (one syllable, t noise then sounds like the word "dice" but with a "h", not a "d"). I about laughed my a** off when I saw someone jokingly try to do an entire form in one long kihap with a pained expression.

Fetch Daddy's blue fright wig! I must be handsome when I unleash my rage.