How did you feel?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with luckykboxer - I too was excited, uneasy, awkward, anxious, eager.

I tended to feel bewildered and confused for my first few weeks/months in MA and occasionally asked myself what I was doing there wearing what felt like a pair of white pyjamas and a white belt and doing things in a language I didn't know or understand.

Plus, everyone else there seemed miles better than me, even the other beginners. I felt like I had 20 pairs of arms and legs at times, I got so confused about which hand was doing what and where I should be at a particular time.

However, I think everyone feels a little bewildered doing MA for the first time, probably even more so if your first exposure to MA is with a traditional school or art.

I'm sure a lot of beginners go through the "Bowing? What's all that about then?" stage, where everything seems wierd or like it's from another world.

It's amazing how names and actions soon become routine, though.

It's an exciting time staring MA for the first time, or taking up a new MA. Everything is new and bewildering but you've got a clean slate and don't have to live up to expectations of what a particular grade should/shouldn't do. There's so much to learn and take in, and it can be overwhelming at times, but it's a fun journey - a journey without end too, as there's always something new to learn or discover or think about.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

I remember very well being about half way into stretching and thinking, "o man i've went and done it now."

lol prob. the best choice I have ever made however thank God.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

How did u fell when u first took MA?

At my first class, I went to just watch my friend practice. The sensei told me that if I was interested enough to watch, I was interested enough to give it a try...and get in line! ACK! I wasn't at all prepared!

So, in my first class I practiced in tight jeans and a flannel shirt (it was January in Montana and very COLD outside!). class was in the sensei's apartment living room (about 10'x12') and had arouind 8 people in it.

The class went OK I guess, but I sweated like a pig all through it...and yes, I was nervous and very intimidated by the sensei. He was 6'4" cowboy fresh out of his tour in the Navy stationed in Okinawa.

I woke up the next morning hurting like hell and finding I had muscles I never knew I had before in my legs. I skipped the next class, then went back the following week...andhave been practicing ever since. That was back in 1975.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Wow, your about to reach the 30 year mark. Out of curiousity, what Dan grade are you in Shorin ryu?

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I felt like I was falling over myself most of the time LOL. The first month was just learning what the heck I was doing. I was so unflexible, awkward, and confused, but I was so excited to learn more. I was addicted within the first week.

Laurie F

Wow, your about to reach the 30 year mark. Out of curiousity, what Dan grade are you in Shorin ryu?

Yep..January will be the big 30! lol It's a long, sad story as to why I haven't progressed in rank, but I'm a 3rd Dan. I received my shodan from the head of the system in June of 1978, tested by a 6th Dan for my Nidan in January of 1987, and the head of the system again in September of 1990 for my Sandan. Travel is the problem, as there's nobody within 500 miles of me that I can train or test with. $$$'s is also a huge factor. Fortunately (and obviously?), I'm not in this for the rank. Good thing, huh? lol

Remember, patience is a virtue...and boy, am I virtuous! lol

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

y'know, i don't think i had any of those feelings when i was first 'taught'.

but then it might be cos of my exposure to them from an early age and the resulting familiarity with what they are.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

How did I feel when I first started karate?

To put it nicely....OUCH!

Other then that, I was scared, nervous, open minded, and maybe a little over confident at school and under confident at the dojo, but that went all away.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.