• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all,

I'm competing in a gi tournament in a couple weeks. This is my first tournament. I've been doing bjj only for a few months, so I'm not sure how ready I am. My instructor seems to think I'm ready, but I'm not so sure.

Do you all have any takedowns/submissions that you'd recommend? I'm going to spend the time up until the tournament just drilling a few basic moves from each position. I need to work on my guard passing and sweeps especially.

Also, are there any basic things that I need to avoid (e.g. don't push up from the bottom, don't give the other guy a straight arm, etc.) or look for (e.g. guy pushes up from the bottom, guy gives me straight arm, etc.)?

Thanks

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A tournament is not the time or place to try out that new move you learned last week, or to futz around with your fanciest. DO WHAT WORKS BEST for you. Only your best sweeps, subs, and escapes. Don't panic if you get taken down right away. A lot of guys who do BJJ tournaments as white belts are also well-versed in Judo. Play your game....be aggressive...and don't eat too heavy a breakfast. Bring Gatorades and bananas/apples for in between matches. Good luck!

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

remember to keep it simple, stick to the basics and you'll be competative at the least.

Good luck

There are two types of people in the world. Those that find excuses and those that find a way.

-Unknown