• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

There are no specific exercises i can recall to make the thigh muscles harder for kicks.

weird, i thought there would be some way to do it :-? what about, lets say squats, that strenghten your legs? i thought if there would be more muscles or harder muscles, the kicks would be absorbed at least to a certain extend.

the only way to prepare yourself to take them is to... yes you guessed it... take some as you practice and learn how it feels how to avoid it, how to block it etc.

yeah, that would be the best way - i know, but as i said there is no MT, Phillipino kb or Kyokushin school around :(

The best way to condition your shins in my opinion is just repeatedly kicking a heavy bag.

you mean in a MT manner? or with those kicks i use in my tkd? since i dont know MT kicks very good :)

besides, i dont have access to a heavy bag yet :(

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok first off squats are a general muscle builder, not specific to Muay Thai.

Obviously you know that squats build leg muscle.

I had to assume you were not ignorant to weighttraining in general when i posted otherwise i would have said squats to build muscle.

as far as practicing taking hits, it doesnt take a full contact school.

It takes a pair of shin guards and someone to kick you, I am sure you can find that.

Yes he means Muay Thai Kicks ont he heavy bag, you can do TKD kicks as well but then you would be training for TKD and not Muay Thai. You can fight a Muay Thai fighter with TKD kicks and you will probably have varying degrees of success, but I think it is safe to assume that since you were asking specifically about Muay Thai that that is what he means.

Muay Thai training is not easy, its not painless. But like anything else if you want to be great at it you have to push through that.

good luck with the training

its not that i wanna train for a certain style... i just want to learn lowkicks, and for that, i think i gotta attend a good full contact school.

Obviously you know that squats build leg muscle.

I had to assume you were not ignorant to weighttraining in general when i posted otherwise i would have said squats to build muscle.

i think u missunderstood... i know that squats build muscles and i am not ignorant towards weight training. i didnt mean that i want excersises specifically for MT, but excersises that provide what i wanted, be it as a side effect.

Yes I misunderstood your question then.

for weight training you have leg curls and extensions, squats, leg presses, hack squats, lunges, frog jumps, etc.

those are all exercises that will build your leg muscles, I know there are hundreds more but those are the only things i really use other then jump rope.

also while if you attend a full contact school you might catch on to lowkicks sooner, it isnt exactly necessary.

A kick is a kick afterall, and the only thing that really is going to change is the intention. I recommend giving it a shot with some like minded individual, a friend or another student at your school.

Obviously if you are wanting to leave your style and train full contact more thats a different story

Its hard sometimes to picture what another persons experiences in their studio is like when all I have to go off of is my own experiences.

oh, i dont want to leave my style for full contact :) not yet that is... i am sure that tkd is a good style (here in germany the masters learned from the koreans and the general himself has been here often, so its taught good as far as i reckon), but i think that a full contact style suits me better since i wanna learn how to take blows and distribute them. on the other hand i dont want to go into the martial arts class after a hard days work to get beaten up and have m a$$ handed to me, if you take my meaning.

there are some things i miss in my school and other i dont want to miss when i visit another. i miss lowkicks e.g.

what are leg curls btw? english aint my first language so i dont know those names... and what is the difference between a hack squat and a normal squat? and... lunges??? :)

also while if you attend a full contact school you might catch on to lowkicks sooner, it isnt exactly necessary.

i thought this was the only way. in my dojang there are many students that come there to learn and for some kind of recreation i think. have some sport and learn something useful, but they dont want to buy shinguards or have their legs kicked. i heard one say that she thinks the way we spar is very brutal, although we are certainly not... many ITF fighters in germany beat the crap out of each other as if its a k.o. fight, but we are very cautious towards sparring. and i wasnt hurt much during it.

so i dont know whether my dojang is the correct place to watch for an individual...

Yes, I did mean MT round kicks. I don't know how or if they differ from TKD round kicks as I don't study TKD. Don't be afraid of going to a full contact gym because your going to get beaten up. A reputable MT instructor is not going to allow you to be injured by more advanced students. After all, the gym and the instructor are there to make money, not much money is made if all the students quit because they are being beaten up. I recieved one bloody nose and one bruised rib in my nine years of training in MT. Excluding of course injuries from competition. Basically it boils down to this, if you want to fight like a thai fighter, take thai boxing. If you stick with TKD, you will not have much need for these skills.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

Well as someone who's taken TKD and Muy Thai i have to say that the kicking philosophy is completely different. I took WTF not ITF but I think they are pretty similar. MT is however completly different. Learning to take leg kicks is like conditioning your shins, it always hurts but u get used to the pain. As a TKD guy u should have learned foot blocks by now where u intercept the kick with your foot before it develops power. Stick with that. Muythaifreak is right, you gotta go to a good MT gym to learn the proper techniques. Trying it otherwise will just confuse u and get u hurt. He's also right about the training. MT training hurts but u don't usually GET hurt. If a master is letting people get injured regularly he's no good, however regular full contact sparring with gear is usually a good idea and most good MT gyms will have this almost weekly. Thats the great thing about MT, u never have to wonder if your technique is good, u know or your knocked on your butt. :bawling:

Donkey

I took WTF not ITF but I think they are pretty similar.

not at all. the name is the same, both claim to be TKD, but wtf does not have much to do with it anymore. there is new kata in tkd and it is almost purely kicking, with the goal to swiftness in order to hit one another once, because after that the fight is paused when a point is scored.

Why do you say not to point the toes when ou do a leg block> is is because youre muscles are loose and ti will hurt more, than when u lift your toes and tighten them up? or am i wrong.

I'm not sure to whom you are asking this question, but I will interject. When you block a leg kick, your toes should be pointed down. I suppose you could do it with them up, but why? If your shins are well conditioned, that little bit of flexed muscle is not going to make that much difference when taking the force of a full power leg kick. Toes down tends to tense up the muscles of the entire leg giving the effect of pushing against the kick rather than just absorbing it. Additionally, if your toes are up and the kick goes lower than you've anticipated, you've just earned yourself some time off from work due to broken toes. Imagine holding your foot up off the ground and letting someone hit you right on the tips of the toes with a baseball bat. No thanks. When I leg check, I do it forcefully, meaning that I try to push the opponents leg back. This can have the much desired effect of throwing your opponent off balance just long enough for you to counter succesfully.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!