• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sorry Muay Thai freak, i have to disagree.

You do not want to bend your toes, when you bend your toes it stretches the muscle out and allows it to be hurt or torn easier. It also exposes the weak part of your ankle to a devestating injury

when you are taking a leg against the shin you do not want to stretch that muscle out, it will lead to inury

dont take my word for it though, please go and look up any professional Muay Thai kickboxing site and look at the pictures..

http://www.superleague.tv/gallery_de.php

here is one, look throught he picture galleries you will see all the fighters bringing their leg up for shin kicks with toes not pointed.

I cannot stress enough that your toes should not be bent.

you can adjust your leg for the height of the kick easily I have known very few pro or even really good amateurs who have taken kicks to the toes, you will not want to have a a torn muscle on the front of your shin, or a damaged ankle, because you wanted to point your toes.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the website, and I am not seeing what you are describing. They are not "pulling" their toes up, rather letting them hang in a natural position. And in several, they are pointing their toes down. I did say in a previous post that you may do it with toes up if you wanted to, (and I know that many fighters do). I merely stated my reasons for not doing so. I am sure that many fighters do it the way you indicate and never suffer any ill effects from it, just as many fighters, (including all the fighters from my gym), do it the way I indicate withour adverse effects. You have good arguments as do I, it's just a matter of personal preference.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

are not "pulling" their toes up

where did i say pull your toes up? dont put words in my mouth, I never said that.

rather letting them hang in a natural position

if thats how you say they are not bending their toes then yes you are correct.

And in several, they are pointing their toes down.

ok maybe you viewing something differently but i looked at every picture there and couldnt find one example of someone pointing their toes down.

I am curious where you learned that toes down is ok?

The reason I ask is because I have trained with 3 world champions, and half a dozen Thai fighters, and several more who trained in Thailand, and all of them were very specific on the pointing down of toes on shin blocks.

I wont discount that someone teaches it that way, I wont discount that you learned it that way. If it works for you great, what I am saying is that by pointing your toes down you open yourself up to much more injury then if you dont point your toes.

When I train fighters, or work with fighters I am always adamant on this point, and as much as I will try to be open minded, I know the risk for Injury on this one too well.

Sorry, I thought that was what you were looking for. Anyway, as far as conditioning I'm assuming you mean your shins. The best way to condition your shins in my opinion is just repeatedly kicking a heavy bag. There are other ways of course, i.e. rolling a broomhandle or other similar object up and down your shin with increased pressure, you can find an old tire, stabilize it somehow, and kick it with your shin. I have done all of the above. The best way in my opinion is to kick the bag as I've said. I'm talking about a HEAVY bag. like an 80 pounder. You'll have bruising at first, but after a while not so much. Some people say to whack yourself on the shins with hard objects, but I think that's a little extreme and you risk hairline fractures and bone chipping.

Yes, agree.

I do the same when I was doing Muay Thai.

By rolling a piece of round wood on my Shin slightly with

pressure and practising with your senior.

By that time, your shin would be get accustomed to be hitted.

Prepared your shin first.

But of course, correct way of blocking by shin has little technique

that is difficult to describe by wording.

You needed to go to MT gym for knowing this.

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

There are no specific exercises i can recall to make the thigh muscles harder for kicks.

weird, i thought there would be some way to do it :-? what about, lets say squats, that strenghten your legs? i thought if there would be more muscles or harder muscles, the kicks would be absorbed at least to a certain extend.

the only way to prepare yourself to take them is to... yes you guessed it... take some as you practice and learn how it feels how to avoid it, how to block it etc.

yeah, that would be the best way - i know, but as i said there is no MT, Phillipino kb or Kyokushin school around :(

The best way to condition your shins in my opinion is just repeatedly kicking a heavy bag.

you mean in a MT manner? or with those kicks i use in my tkd? since i dont know MT kicks very good :)

besides, i dont have access to a heavy bag yet :(

Icetuete,

You said, "no MT, Phillipino kb or Kyokushin school around :("

Sorry to hear that.

:bawling: In my opinion, I think Kyokushin School way of blocking low kick

is doing by side step and blocked by muscle.

This cannot absorb much of low kick. :roll:

For me, I prefer the MT way which is not just blocking by

rising your shin. I knew the trick and repeatly practise for 2 months

and then I know how to block.

I am thinking how to explain this by wording now (may post later)

Anyone know if Phillipino KB block low kick same as MT???? :-?

Darkness grants me pair of dark black eye,

Yet I determine to look for Brightness

You said, "no MT, Phillipino kb or Kyokushin school around "

Sorry to hear that.

me too :(

I am thinking how to explain this by wording now (may post later)

that would be great :)

Anyone know if Phillipino KB block low kick same as MT????

they most likely do. since phillipino kickboxing is a mixture of savate/sikaran leg techniques, western boxing punches and strikes and muay thai elbows and knees. since lowkicks are about the same distance as to close fight, i think thai style techniques dominate this range of fighting in the phillipino kickboxing as well, but i am not sure.

I have studied with Rick Davis for the past nine years. He a former WKC World Champion, WKA International Champion, and KICK US Heavy Weight Champion. In 1999 he was licensed and certified by the Kingdom of Thailand to teach MT in the US. And his gym was the first MT camp on the east coast with that distinction. When we go to Thailand, we study with Narong Siri. He is a former Champion of both Lumpini and Rajdamnern stadium. He recieved the Lumpini Superstar award in 1976. He goes by the name "Pek". If you like, you can contact my Kru through his website at https://www.championmuaythai.com. He can answer your questions more thouroghly than I can. These are the instructors who have taught me to point the toes down. Worked pretty well for them.

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!