• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

heyya!

i really enjoy my tkd training, but i know that it misses certain things. we do falling, throwing, choking, groundstuff and lowkicks as well, but we do it too seldom and dont hit each other actually.

now i really love lowkicks, as long as i dont get hit by them, that is :D

and that is what i wanted to know. how can i prepare myself for getting hit by one? which muscles to i have to strenghten in order to let them absord most of the force behind the kick? i wanna be able to walk properly after getting hit by one, you know :)

what excersies to Thai- and Phililipino KickBoxers do in order to resist them better?

besides, i wanna learn lowkicks as soon as i am attending university (i am sure there will be an art somewhere that teaches them) but what can i do in order to prepare myself for this? with this i mean being able to take them, as well as do deliver them. you know... a kind of "a beginners guide to lowkicks" or something would be cool :D

thanks for listening :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Low kicks are seldom easily absorbed. The best way to deal with them is to not have your leg there when the kick comes. Slide back a little, if you can't do that, you need to raise your leg and catch it with your shin. Preferably the upper portion of the shin just below the knee. This requires a good bit of practice to commit it to muscle memory and make it automatic. Try this; even for round kicks to the body, block with your shin. It's gonna hurt until your shin gets conditioned, but if you catch it correctly, it should hurt them more than you. You just have to get used to raising your leg to block the kick rather than using your arm. A good hard round kick will break an arm meant to block it. I've seen this happen a number of times. Find a MT gym and ask for a demonstration, or watch a video. Better off having a first hand demo though as there are some little things involved that are hard to put into words and almost impossible to discern through watching a video.

Hope that helps!

Pain is temporary, glory is forever, and chicks dig scars!

-=pain is weakness leaving the body=-

If there's lead in the air, there is hope in the heart!

ya basically three ways to block that kick.

1st - Slide back and let the kick pass in front of you with no contact.

2nd - Shin block by raising your knee and leg up, DO NOT POINT YOUR TOES! point you knee the direction the kick is coming from and as you absorb the kick let your foot come back like a spring.

3rd - Thigh Block, turn your knee towards the direction the kick is coming, tense your thigh muscle and take the kick int eh meaty part of your leg. You do not want to take many like this, but it is alot better then taking it on the inside of your leg in the sensitive areas, the top of your thigh can handle the kicks a few times.

3rd - Thigh Block, turn your knee towards the direction the kick is coming, tense your thigh muscle and take the kick int eh meaty part of your leg. You do not want to take many like this, but it is alot better then taking it on the inside of your leg in the sensitive areas, the top of your thigh can handle the kicks a few times.

Depends who is doing the kicking. This technique could result in some serious muscle damage and bruising. Not to mention the fact that you could concievably get a major "charlie horse" which could impair your ability to stand on and kick with that leg. I might try this against someone who couldn't kick very hard, but as far as in the ring, no way.

Actually if you are fighting someone your own weight you should be fine.

I have sparred alot fo the K1 level kickboxers and taken leg kicks to the thigh.

Like i said though you dont want to take too many, But peopel the same size should for the most part be able to handle a few, also if you cant get your leg up for a shin block, or back to escape it totally then it is the best way to block, alot better then taking it on the weak part of the leg

Low kicks are seldom easily absorbed.

exactly :)

that is the reason why i was asking how to be able to absorb them a little better than not absord at all.

since i dont have the chance to visit a MT, Kyokushin or Philipino Kickboxing school (these are the styles that use lowkicks most afaik) i fear i wont have the chance to learn how they are blocked and i probably can not learn it by a description i read in the forum (which does not mean that i am not thankful for your reply :) ).

i can however try to condition my legs in a MT manner. by this, i hope to be able to:

1. resist a lowkick slightly better

2. better pull of a kick and a block later on, when i finally have the chance to visit a school of the above styles.

as i said:

what excersies to Thai- and Phililipino KickBoxers do in order to resist them better?

what can i do in order to prepare myself for this? with this i mean being able to take them, as well as do deliver them.

You've sparred k1 fighters? Cool! Everything everyone has said is pretty much on so far... so I'll just add that experience helps. Like many things in life, the first time hurts more than the rest.

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."

-Machiavelli

So i was thinking what exercises are doen to conditon the muscles for the kicks, and looking at my training the only thing i can figure it all the jumprope on the balls of my feet, all the shadowboxing with weights in my hands ont he balls of my feet, all the squats, medicine ball workouts, on the balls of my feet..

all the kicks, etc.

There are no specific exercises i can recall to make the thigh muscles harder for kicks.

the only way to prepare yourself to take them is to... yes you guessed it... take some as you practice and learn how it feels how to avoid it, how to block it etc.

have an opponent use padded shin and foot guards and practice taking kicks on the inside, outside and on the thigh, also practice shin blocks, and avoidance... its the only way, we practiced those over and over... i dont know how many times i was more bruised from training then from actual fights in the ring

Sorry, I thought that was what you were looking for. Anyway, as far as conditioning I'm assuming you mean your shins. The best way to condition your shins in my opinion is just repeatedly kicking a heavy bag. There are other ways of course, i.e. rolling a broomhandle or other similar object up and down your shin with increased pressure, you can find an old tire, stabilize it somehow, and kick it with your shin. I have done all of the above. The best way in my opinion is to kick the bag as I've said. I'm talking about a HEAVY bag. like an 80 pounder. You'll have bruising at first, but after a while not so much. Some people say to whack yourself on the shins with hard objects, but I think that's a little extreme and you risk hairline fractures and bone chipping.