• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Punch Defense

How about if it was a hook punch but much more controlled, like a Boxer's Hook punch?

i.e Not intoxicated by alcohol..

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2001-12-04 05:53 ]

Shotokan Karate Black Belt

==Defend the path of Truth==

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It varies. I suppose just some form of head block or a duck. Then you could do a variety of things. Personally I'd probably knee them in the groin or stomach which would double em over, then elbow strike to their neck. But then again, I might just take a step back or to the side to avoid the blow. A lot of it goes down to reflexes.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

I've had experience in this situation. I was argue with boy in my neighborhood and he was just 2 feet in front of me yelling. I just stood there, my heart was pounding. I knew he was going to get out a knife or a weapon. Something bad was going to happen. He swung a punch to the right side of my face, but I block it. Instinctively, with my left I punch him at the upper lip. He started bleeding then I ran home. A few months later we were playing football, a few kids on the block(5 on 5). He was on the other team. I caught a ball, running toward the touchdown, when a hard tackle landed me on the ground. My chest landed on top of the football, and almost knocked the wind out of me. He was the one whom tackle me. I got off the ground, gave him a hard push and went back to the line of scrimage. Sure he was more athletic, and works out. However, I can kick his a$$ any day. :karate:

Canh T.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Well then, isnt that a heartwarming story.

Um, well against a controlled boxer's hook/haymaker u can still apply the same principle, cos they leave themselves open and if u deflect properly then u can still draw him off balance. It all comes down, like people have been saying, to reflexes. It's all cool.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

• 5 months later...

I dont know, i never tried any Punching Martial Arts. mines is quite a little different from Punching!

Kempo dude says: Stand up show me what you got, im black belter in kempo, im a Kempo champ. lets see who will win!

I say go with a high block then a reverse punch to the ribs

cho dan TSD

"Every second that you are not training, someone somewhere is training to kick your butt"- Kyo Sa Lyle (my instructor)

"Where we going in 5 months?!?!?!" "Cali!!"

-Spring Break '04

"Life begins at 130 mph".

I've said it before(not here though). If you can see it coming then hit him first. A straight punch to the face, or a kick. Just straight, nothing more. You won't even have to block. If you don't want to hurt the guy(e.g. he's drunk and doesn't really know what he's doing) then move and walk away. No need to take advantage of a guy who can't even walk(or think) straight. Even if he is trying to beat you up he's drunk so leave him where he his. It's much more frustrating to him to be left hanging than to give him what he wants.

Skilled opponent or random hook punch thrown by someone controlled by emotion(i.e. anger), if you want to block you could, but if you see it coming then you should hit him first. Just don't block-then-strike. Block-and-strike.

There is no RIGHT or WRONG; there is BETTER and WORSE. Do what is most efficient for you at that moment.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." Einstein