Punch Defense

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first choice would be side or back step just out of range. Not flashy or fancy, but it allows their uncontrolled (wild) energy to over-extend. This opens them up for when you ask what (if any) my counter-attack would be. :bigwink:

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

a "wild" punch of any kind...I take that to mean coming at you unexpected. In that case, you might just get clocked in the side of the head :dead: ... but if you were on your guard ...light on your feet and bobbing & weaving you might just duck that wild punch. Keep fists along side chin, elbows protecting middle.

I think he means an unskilled possibly drunken swing. Personally, I'd either dodge and weave it, or take a step back, then counter attack. Or mabye try and get him into an armlock.

Jack

Currently 'off' from formal MA training

KarateForums.com

Agreed...I'd probably just move out of range...if it's a totally wild punch, meaning no skill behind it then I'd say the fight's over right there..just get out of the way and then counter right away.

Lori :grin:

If you think something small cannot make a difference - try going to sleep with a mosquito in the room.

-Unknown-

Against a wild hook punch i would do an upper deflection (block), if it's at my head, and at the same time be moving in the direction that the swing is going, this acts to take him off his centre of gravity. Now, just after blocking i would most probably do a downward, thrusting palm-heel into his chest. This will push him back of hopefully push him to the ground (if he's drunk most probably) due to the dude being off balance and the extra energy u get from moving quickly in the direction of the punch.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

um block it by covering ear half haed or making me hit contact with musclue or weeve under the shot :grin:

when you do your best it`s going to show.

"If you watch the pros, You will learn something new"

Wild punches of any kind are usually to see coming I agree. Stepping or ducking out of the way, yes I think that is best. Also I think the simple evasion might anger the thrower of the punch even more and maybe a next punch might be even wilder.

I like the idea of letting someone fight against themself through loss of control.

All u have to do against wild throwers is apply the basic flowing (water) theory and in essence use their own energy against them. The defence i stated above is a prime example of that. U use hardly any energy in the strike, u r just using his own momentum and loss of balance against him. It's cool.

Angus :karate: :up:

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.