• advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on your martial arts style. There are different belt systems for different styles - there are even different belt systems within the same style. The best person to ask is your instructor or a higher grade at your club. They'll be able to give you all the info you need.

In my style of Shotokan Karate we have belts in the following order:

white, orange, red, yellow, green, purple, purple & 1 white stripe, brown, brown & 1 white stripe, brown & 2 white stripes and finally black.

In my Aikido club we only have 2 belts - white and black, but you still earn different grades before you get to black, you just stick with the same colour belt, though.

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

There are different belt systems for different styles - there are even different belt systems within the same style.

To go with aefibird, I am also in shotokan, and my belt ranking is as follows: white, yellow, orange, blue, green, purple, purple 2, brown, brown 2, brown 3, black.

In Jiu-Jitsu (in my academy) is as follows: White, Blue, Purple, Brown, Black.

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

i hate it when styles have a million different belts before black. i think anymore than 8 is pointless unless theres A LOT to the style itself. because so many times i have seen no difference between a green and purple(or whatever). more time and effort should go into each belt rather than have so many different ranks when half of them are futile in the first place.

My style of american Kenpo has 20 belts.

White

Yellow

Orange

Purple

Blue

Green

Red

3rd Brown

2nd Brown

1st Brown

Black

2nd Black - 10th Black

My Jiu Jitsu has 14 Belts

White

Blue

Purple

Brown

Black

2nd Black - 10th Black

My style has:

white

yellow

orange

green

purple

blue

red

black

Wolverine

1st Dan - Kalkinodo

"Shut up brain, or I'll stab you with a q-tip"

"There is no spoon."

As pointed out differant belt systems for differant styles and differant belt systems for the same styles but differant schools. In the end it basically comes down to the ORG. or Assoc. your with and your teachers ideas.

General rule of thumb go from light colors to dark. RED being the excepton that it may fall anywhere.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Kuk Sool Won doesn't have many belt ranks.

They are in order:

white

yellow

blue

red

brown

black-brown

black

higher degrees of black belt

It takes about two years to reach black-brown, and about another two years to reach black after that, but it's not a fixed time schedule. It all depends on how well you learn and perfect the material as to whether your instructor feels you have earned black belt.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

My school has 8 belts. White, orange, yellow, green, purple, blue, brown, red, then black. But we used to only have 5, white, yellow, green, blue, red, then black. You just had to stay at each rank longer. I think I liked it better that way.

Laurie F