• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

TKD - only for tall people?

I think the advantage goes to anyone who can effectively use there height well. I trained with a worldclass TKD featherweight in the early 80's. He was 5'3". Another talented BB at the same school was 6'2". The smaller fighter was always able to get inside on him when few others could. I've found its "who can use their range better." Rather than, "Is it always the advantage goes to the tall person."

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly!

I myself am a tall player 6'4''. One disadvantage to being this tall is the fact that it's akward to contol limbs of this length and weight. The center of balance on us shifts more uncontrollably, and our speed is forced through commited follow-throughs or snaps. Our movement recovery is one of our bigger weakensses, simply because there is more of us to retract. The commitment, or telegraphing of our attacks can sometimes be seen through - big things are difficult to hide.

For instance:

I have been outsmarted by bulldog maneuvers... basically, when I'm caught off-guard, or my endurance has waned, the shorter guy will suddenly barge unexpectantly past a roundhouse kick and find himself in the middle-circle of attack. I can't kick as effectively at that range; the shorter guy has a clear head kick that I can only bounce back from. This has happened more than once.

"An enlightened man would offer a weary traveler a bed for the night, and invite him to share a civilized conversation over a bowl of... Cocoa Puffs."

It's way more about timing and quickness than it is about height. I'm only 5'8" and I spar with guys who are 6'2" plus regularly. My strategy works very well and it consists of blocking and slipping to get in close, and then crowding the taller guys for the rest of the fight. Their kicks become ineffective because they end up hitting me with shins and thighs rather than their feet, and all I have to do is keep striking, make sure I guard my head, and maintain my close in position and the fight is mine.

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I'm 5'2" and it's not all about height. Granted some things are easier to reach when you're higher, but you also have to have the balance and coordination to really be effective.

There's a really tall guy at my school, who I believe almost has to duck to get through the door (or maybe he does), but his coordination and balance is terrible. He complains when the targets are high, but they're really on chest high on him, when they're over head height for all of the other non complaining students and myself, who just try and mostly make it. And then there's another kind of tall guy, but not as tall as the other, who is pretty good and utilizes his height effectively combined with his great jumping techniques, so in my opinion, it's really all about how coordinated you are and how much you work at it.