• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Heian Godan&Bassai Dai tips

Heian

Hi all. I'm currently a brown belt (sankyu) and in November I have a belt test. It's the first belt test I have to present two kata - a heian kata and Bassai Dai.

Basically I've run through to really tiny bits in the kata (My sensei gave me really scary nuiances which I practiced over a myriad amount of times)

But since I can see there are karateka here from all shapes, sizes, ranks and forms, I could really use any further tips anyone can give me on what should I emphasize while working, performing and improving these kata.

With preempting thanks,

Shai, Sankyu.

Jijutsu Yori Shinjutsu (Spirit before technique)

"..The way, who will walk it clear and pure?"

-Gichin Funakushi, founder of Shotokan.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

When I was grading for my 2nd kyu and had to do 2 kata I was given the following piece of advice from a dan grade - to think about my breathing and try and make it calm and relaxed whilst performing the kata. Short quick breaths can actually leave you more out of breath, whilst deep breathing can relax you (an important fact for a belt test - most people are nervous for them) and help you to have a calm state of mind.

I was also told to practice beforehand as if I was actually doing the test, even if there was no one else in the room with me. So, I would practice with the bow & the saying of the kata name, as well as running through the kata. That way you're in the correct frame of mind before you even get to the belt test.

Even if you make a mistake on your grading (and I hope you don't!), then carry on. If you're confident and perform a strong confident kata then you're more likely to be looked upon favourably by the examiners.

Good luck with your grading - don't forget to let us know how you did! :)

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

Of course, I have no idea what your sensei will be looking for from you, but at the level that you're at, this is what I look for from a student in every class, and during testings.

Is the student relaxed?

Is the student smooth?

Is the student sure of what they are doing? (No hesitation)

Is the transition from one movement to the other a nice flowing movement or jerky, mechanical movement?

Is the student confident?

Of course, all of the movements must be correct in form and function, but what I'm really looking for is the confidence that comes with lots of practice, the ease in which the students body moves from technique to technique, very good speed and power generated, etc.

I've seen black belts in tournaments that don't posses these attributes and are jerky and mechanical in their movements. To me, they just don't get it and understand what kata are all about, and haven't reached that point mentally, and physically, where they have "it".

Good luck with your test! :karate:

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

Bassai Dai - very strong kata and Power though hip movement is what you always look for. The more power you use espically early on the better this kata looks.

Heian Godan - has a few spots you can really leave an impression. The jump for sure is key in landing the kata but I think the entire kata is such that its slow and smooth then explodes that you can turn heads in a few spots.

Good luck.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

I have to agree that Bassai Dai really emphasizes hip rotation. And the jump in heian godan is actually not a leap for distance put more of a straight up in the air jump.

Hey There!

This feels a bit unusual, giving a higher ranking belt advice, but I hope it is useful. I can only give you general adivice on kata itself because I do not know Bassai Dai all that well, however I may be able to help.

In general, the most important thing that I cannot stress enough is keeping a serious face. I knew this black belt going for his third and he kept making faces of confusion, and he failed, just because of that one kata. Ummm..... lets see here. In Heian Godan, I think the most important thing to do is to do the kata like you mean it. To help with this, we learn Bunkai to the kata, so you know the meaning, and you can envision what you are doing. Bassai Dai, I can't help you with, sorry, we don't learn that kata until we are second browns, although I do know it. Well, I guess that is pretty much it. I hope it helps.

Stay Strong

Keep Confident

Focus On The Prize

Mean It

Practice/Train Hard

Never Quit

and always....

Look For Encouragement and Guidence, even the younger ranks have things to offer.

"I learn the most from a white belt. When they test, they only have to do one kata. So focus on your katas like it is the only kata you have to do, then you will do well." Sensei Phil Oakes

shodan - Shotokan

Blue Belt - Jiu-Jitsu

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care the themself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, if I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven-- such is the rule of Honor.

• 2 weeks later...

This might be a little late, considering the last post was about a week ago, but I'm new to the board, and I figured I'd put in my two sense just in case you still wanted it.

Like BJJ said, it's kind of weird for me, a green belt, to be giving advice on these katas...But I'll try.

In Bassai Dai, the first movement, where you fall into the middle block is one of the most dramatic movements in the kata. And you have to watch and make sure your feet are facing the right directions.

I have to agree that Bassai Dai really emphasizes hip rotation. And the jump in heian godan is actually not a leap for distance put more of a straight up in the air jump.
The way I learned the jump was lay down a punching bag. Stand on one side, and jump over, and land directly on the other side. That's suppose to be how high the jump is and how long. Because it's not a very long jump.

Also the last part, the 2 grab to the groin movements, you need to get the hip rotations in, and emphisise(sp?) the switching of the front stance to a back stance.

I've never seen a jump/leap in Pinan Godan ... but then again, I do the Okinawan version.