• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Impressions of a light blow on chest by a 2nd dan BB

On of our assistants in my class which is a 2nd degree BB and demonstrated to me during ippon kumite how a tsuki should feel like.

I am only a green belt so I am still learning the basics.

Although his punch was very light on my chest, i could feel the high energy concentrated on this single point on my chest right besides my plexus.

It was like a spear going thru me.

It took my breath away for a short time but I recuperated after a few seconds.

I believe that he litteraly could have torn my chest apart, should he have used full power.

I know understand the meaning behind many things heard a read in the MA world. It is very interesting to see how so much focus can be brought at a single opint and be devestating.

It sure changed my perspective on my practice !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Power is a odd thing

Speed first and formost

Techinque second

Then its where you hit

Keep with it and you amaze yourself

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

In all liklihood, he just delivered the pressure over a pretty small area.

The pressure would be equivalent to the mass he's throwing at you, how fast it's traveling and how long it takes to transfer its momentum into you, over how much area it's put over.

So if he hit you with a single knuckle with all his weight behind it at even a slow speed, and knew when to make contact to transfer momentum efficiently, you'd be in for something. Especially if he hit you in the right place.

I'm magic. It's just that if I showed my magic in public, people would die, and I don't want that kind of burden to live with.

Speed first? I say technique first. You can be as fast as you want if you dont do the technique properly you may end up hurting yourself.

Long Live the Fighters!

I'm glad your learning, I miss the actual classroom experience. I have seen amazing things from evolving practitioners! Thanks for sharing.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

You'll be learning the basics all the way up to black. :)

Different instructors demonstrate different ways. I've had those that are extrememly careful, and others that were quite rough.

If it isn't a "regular" occurance, I suggest learning from it as intended. If it happens regularly, then you'll have to decide if you want to continue with that type of instruction.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

So many types of power, so many type of hits, so many standards for "powerful".

lower-phase (less experienced) people can't injur me by hitting me even when trying (I'm sure my nose or ears could still be damaged; but I don't get hit there often in play); coversely, my instructor has left bruises from a touch where he never hit.

sounds like he just hit you really hard

Just after, I did ask my friend what he thought and he said it was just lightly snapped !

He could have gone much, much further.

The intersting thing for me was the energy being developped and the pinpoint accuracy !

could be he hit you on a nerve point with a middle finger punch as well.

I can see huge differences between two punches of the same speed and power, if one is directed on an area thats just muscle and another is on a nerve point with a single knucle as the focus point....

that can send shivers to your toes!