• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HELP!!! I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Joecooke007

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats the choice??

Will he be teaching you them as a totally seperate MA eg. kobudo, or will he be teaching you intergrating it in your karate training?

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

Dear Joe,

i have trained in the sword (practical katana) for several years now along with my karate. i find the sword a very relaxing and forfilling wepon to use.

i often use the sword in developing my own type of tei chei the weight is also quite re-assuring.

yours sincerly henry south

Allright Joe, in my school everyone does bo (long staff) as their first weapon. There are many weapons and all have different characteristics. And sometimes the ones that seem the most appealing before you start actually working with them don't maintain your interest after you get started.

They all require slightly different physical skills in the area of fine muscle dexterity. Most guys do seem to be drawn to the nunchaku for some reason.

Same here. We are trained in long staff first. The reason being, many of the movements you learn are then applied to other weapons, like the long sword.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

Another thing about weapons training is that 8th kyu karate rand and sensei's permission is required to start training. Reason being a very simple one. Put a weapon in the hand of many they forget about their feet. The stances disentegrate totally. Flailing the arms to regain balanace from a too narrow zen kutsu dachi is one thing. Trying to do the same with a weapon in the hands is dangerous.

• 1 year later...

Personally i'd start with a Jo/cane/escrima

a smaller stick basically. lots of techniques, extremely effective, extrmely practical and also very readily available. those tech.s can be applied to basically an ridgid object that isnt bladed.

not to mention it's very fun. theres nothing better than performing an arm lock with a cane then a choke with the crook foollowed by a nice big hip throw.

If in your journey you encounter God, God will be cut

~Hatori Hanso (sonny chiba)