• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do Practioners?

I agree with TangSooGuy and TSDMGK_K40. I did TSD. Now I do TKD after moving to NY. I find that TKD is geared more toward kicks. TSD has more hand techs (at least my old dojang taught it that way).

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In class, I tend to drill at about 60%kick/40%hand.

However, the hyung are about 80/20 in favor of the hands.

In sparring, I see a lot of people who spar 80/20 in favor of the feet, though I tend to favor close range, and I'm about 60% hands.

I've seen some schools that are very kick oriented, and other schools which are more upper body work... Most of those guys tend to come from Shotokan backgrounds or were boxers. They also tend to be big guys... though I know a few "big guys" who can do jump spinning kicks quite gracefully.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

6th Gup from Monterey, California.

Hyungs:

Gichu Hyung Il Bu

Gichu Hyung Il Bu Sum Gup

Gichu Hyung E Bu

Gichu Hyung E Bu Sum Gup

Gichu Hyung Sam Bu

Pyung-Ahn Cho Dan

Pyung-Ahn E Dan

Pyung-Ahn Sam Dan

Pyung-Ahn Sah Dan

Pyung-Ahn O Dan

Bassai, form of the Cobra.

Nahachi Cho Dan

Nahachi E Dan

Nahachi Sam Dan

Jin Do

I'm not sure past that...our Instructor knows everything up to (I believe) 6th Dan, but has to drive about 12 hours to test, so is still a Cho Dan. We're trying to talk him into testing though :D

Mr.Durney (Head Instructor) concentrates more on kicking, but in Mr.Beeson's classes we get to do a lot of Boxing-like drills, so we get our hand work in. Mr.Rienecker is a technique freak, which is a great thing to do once a week or so.

I think in some ways we are a bit McDojoish, but our prices are more than reasonable ( $65.00 a month for as many classes as you want to take) and while the kids classes could be more serious our students are (most of them anyway) quite good, and the adult class is quite good. While Mr.Durney and Mr.Beeson are both quite good at point sparring, our school is better known for our Forms in tournaments.

Tang Soo!

Passion transcends pain.

• 2 weeks later...

I am originally from Tae-Kwon-Do, but my master left. Being in a small town there isn't much here, so I coudln't just switch to another Tae-Kwon-Do school. I'm going to be 16 in about 48 days...along with getting my lisence! Watch out! Anyway, I got into Tang-Soo-Do in March? Something like that. I don't know a lot of the forms or anything. I'm starting in the basics with my friend who is starting completely from scratch. I don't believe my master is wanting to teach me the Mudikwan(sp? Sorry if that isn't spelled right!) style of forms, because I'm originally a Tae-Kwon-Do student with the rank of 2nd Dan. I did ask him about him teaching them to me. I don't believe there will be any good TKD masters coming around here anytime soon, which I don't have a problem with. I like TSD, because it uses more punching then TKD does. I'm also teaching my new master about the "new" sparring style, he is very interested in it. All of his students are amazed with me, because of my kicks and speed. I think that he is also hoping that I will help to encourage the process of speed and technique in the dojang. I am more than happy to do this. I love to art, and if I can help others love it just as much, I will do what I can! I'm hoping that I can learn the new forms that are there for me to learn, and add my "grace" to them. That's what I've heard from many people about my forms and kicks. Who knows!

At my school we don't have certian self defense one-steps. The Master shows us more and more with almost every class, but they are not numbered. Whereas in TKD, we had 30 one steps. My new master has probably showed me 30 or more NEW ones. He is very educated in the one steps, and knows a lot of them, and has even encouraged me using ones I know, and mixing them up into new ones. He has also spent time teaching me one steps that I use my kicks in, since that is my speciality. I think that I like the more traditional style, compared to the sport style. I do miss sparring though. Nothing can replace that feeling!

I am learning more of the Korean terms with a Hesipanic(sp?) Master then I did with a true Korean master. I think that's a but messed up, but oh well.

KittyCat=^;^=

2nd Dan-Tae-Kwon-Do