• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tang Soo Do Practioners?

This is awesome, I am glad to see how alive the art is everywhere.

We have been tlking about just forms for a while, but I would like to invite the sharing of other aspects.

Who here practices Il Soo Sik and Ho Sin Sul, and how many of each

what kinds?

I, for example, practice 1-15 hand combination 1 steps, 1-12 foot combination 1 steps for gup and then 1-9 hand foot combo 1 steps for red belt (Il Soo Sik, meaning for hand attacks on a single oppoennet, not a string of walking combinations)

9 1st Dan 3 step il soo sik

9 2nd/3rd dan 1 step

I also have 1-15 gup hand self defence (Ho Sin Sul: joint manipulation/ braeakaways)

and an additional number of variations for different parts of the body

and a few red and blackbelt level techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did self defense techniques, but it was more like a self defense class once or twice a week. There weren't a required amount. BUT we HAD to do free self defense for belt testing.

For Il Soo Sik, we had 30 hand, 30 feet techniqies to learn by BB (we learned three or four of each for each rank).

Edited by karatekid1975

Laurie F

The official curriculum in the WTSDA has 30 hand Il Soo Sik,

30 kick Il Soo Sik, annd 30 Ho Sin Sul techniques that you are required to know for black belt, but there are numerous other "non-standard" techniques in each category that you pick up along the way as well...

Personally, i think Il Soo Sik is very underrated. Done right, it is teh perfect tool to start building towards actual free sparring.

• 2 weeks later...
just a quick question for you TSD guys..is tsd a reliable art that helps you defend your self? is it similar to tkd?

TSD is much more practicle than TKD. They are simlar, but TSD stayed more traditional as TKD went more sport.

is tang soo do pretty much all legs like taekwondo?

depends on the dojang and the instructor. I won't lie to you, there is a certain emphasis on kicking, but I definitely incorporate plenty of hand techniques and grappling into my curriculum as well.

is tang soo do pretty much all legs like taekwondo?

As a Korean Style Tang Soo Do does it's fair share of kicking.

I wouldn't say it is all legs though.

In the style/organization I practice, Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan, I would say it's a pretty even mix, but the majority of the Ill Soo Sik and Ho Sin Sul are hands oriented.

IMO, there is much more of an emphasis on hand techniques in TSD than there is in TKD. This is a general statement, and obviously doesn't pertain to all TSD or TKD schools, but I think it is fair to apply that to the majority of them.