a must read article "why a black belt could be trouble&

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as i understand it, the color system isn't a documentary of what actually happened, but rather representation of the degree of training a student would go through as s/he progressed. y'know, you start out white and clean, than you get sweaty, a little dirty, your roll around in the grass a bit, a little blood here and there, than finally it's just so dark you can't even remember what color you started out with. just my understanding of course. could very well be someone just justifying their use of so many colors.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

as i understand it, the color system isn't a documentary of what actually happened, but rather representation of the degree of training a student would go through as s/he progressed. y'know, you start out white and clean, than you get sweaty, a little dirty, your roll around in the grass a bit, a little blood here and there, than finally it's just so dark you can't even remember what color you started out with. just my understanding of course. could very well be someone just justifying their use of so many colors.

Yeah, something like that

This always sounds a little too off pat to me. I think that in typical Martial Art style people just want a more zen reason for the coloured belts they wear. The belts are there to a) show instructors at your dojo what they can expect out of you b) a 'trophy' signifying your progress in the arts c) generate money for gradings d) provide structure and stature

Angela

Tokonkai Karate-do Instructor

http://www.karateresource.com

Kata, Bunkai, Articles, Reviews, History, Uncovering the Myths, Discussion Forum

^and that could very well be true^. i'm not really a big fan of the belt system my self, it's kind of emptied my pockets, and now i have a bunch of colored strips of cloth laying around that i have no idea what to do with. i think there could be truth in the whole "this represents this" thing until you get to "camouflage" belts and the like. or perhaps i'm just giving all of those instructors the benefit of the doubt. it dosen't matter so much as long as i continue to dig learning with them.

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

This always sounds a little too off pat to me. I think that in typical Martial Art style people just want a more zen reason for the coloured belts they wear. The belts are there to a) show instructors at your dojo what they can expect out of you b) a 'trophy' signifying your progress in the arts c) generate money for gradings d) provide structure and stature

Angela

Nicely written and noted. Yes, THIS is what BECAME of it. I am speaking of generalization of its basic origin.

Hey what about that other topic about there are more 10th Dan black belts in a large city(LA ect) than in the orient. Does that mean the same thing are they GIVEN the rank or did they earn it. My point is that it seems the west likes to get ranks fast and learns little

on a side note a teacher is defined by his/her students

28 movies, 50 years Godzilla is King of the Monsters

"nothing like a good workout" Paul Pheonix

Samurai Shotokan,

An authentic 10th dan grade holder is a rarity in Okinawa the birth place of karate. I believe the reason for the existance of so many 10th dans in LA or the west in general comes down to BUSINESS and to a lesser extent vanity.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?