• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a must read article "why a black belt could be trouble&

y'know, i don't mind bad schools teaching bad martial arts....

they make me look better!

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hm....my sensei once told me that a long time ago all students had white belts and they would discolor and turn black over time, symbolizing how long they had been training. Just a thought. :D

karateka of Kobayashi Shorin-ryu karate-do(since 2000)

"A human life is truly as frail and fleeting as the morning dew." -Rashomon

“Like everyone else, you want to learn the way to win, but never to accept the way to lose. To accept defeat, to learn to die is to be liberated from it. So when tomorrow comes you must free your ambitious mind and learn the art of dying.” BL

y'know, i don't mind bad schools teaching bad martial arts....

they make me look better!

Heh heh, good reason. Long live McDojo's! :D

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!

• 2 weeks later...

I've sparred with some teenage black belts who would be a problem on the street and I've sparred with a few that wouldn't last 5 seconds. Some of the female instructors would have a tough time as well. Sparring and fighting for your life are two different things and should be kept seperate. Our dojo is good about that and explains the difference. Light contact sparring is used to practice technique and build endurance. The real deal is that I've never been one who wanted to fight, but I've been taught how to throw a real punch as well as blocking. This will work in real defense. I've learned how to kick with power and acuracy so that an oncoming attacker will receive a side kick to the stomach or a good shot to the knees. I've also been taught that if you can't breathe, stand or see...the fight is over. A kick to the groin, a shot to the eyes with the fingers or to the throat will usually stop things long enough to get away. I've been taught how to tie a belt which does nothing for me on the street, but I've learned how to disarm a person with a gun or knife if it comes down to it. I've learned self-control and how to keep my mouth shut when needed. I've learned to respect others and most importantly I've learned how to

how to walk away from a fight before it ever starts. I've learned to de-escalate a situation and use my brains. A black belt is so much more than martial arts technique. As far as instructors technique working on the streets? My chief instructor is also a metropolitan police officer and chief instructor for the department as well. The other instructors are officers and deputies. I'd say they are well qualified and so is their art form. Not all dojos can claim the same level and that is when the studient must do some soul searching.

chaz

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

hm....my sensei once told me that a long time ago all students had white belts and they would discolor and turn black over time, symbolizing how long they had been training. Just a thought. :D

Mine told me that too, it starts off white till the sweat turns it yellow, then the dirt mixes and goes orange, and so on, not sure how ya get green, but the black is from all the dirt and whatever else is on there... :lol:

The local TDK instructor told me he could take the money upfront needed to become a black belt... I was watching the black belt class he taught... Woah that was sad, most couldn't kick head height, let alone hit something up there. The instructor was good though, he just can't teach...

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.