• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

a must read article "why a black belt could be trouble&

Why your black belt could get you in trouble –

I love it when I here people talking about how tough someone must be because they are a “Black Belt.” 2 words define a person as tough and deadly in the minds of the untrained and even many that do carry that rank. What is the truth in the myth of the “Black Belt”? For most there is no truth in a black belt equaling street lethal or even street safe.

In the United States the majority of martial arts practitioners practice non-contact systems or sportive systems. These ways are far removed from combat and street survival. In actuality these arts do more of a disservice then good in terms of reality combat outside of the dojo.

In the dojo we have rules and etiquette. We care about our partner’s safety and our own. We have seniors that control our environment and provide us with what we need to better ourselves along our way. Out of the dojo there are no rules to protect us from certain individuals. The grounds for combat are not defined and the field is not always even. No weight classes, no skill divisions, no seniors to help us – just the reality of violence that an assailant brings with them.

Non-contact training may make you feel great in the dojo and more confident about yourself due to the struggle to achieve but it does not prepare you for the reality of a bare knuckle punch or the destructive power of a weapon. Because you can absorb the blow of a padded fist or foot in training does not mean you are ready for bone o­n bone contact from a focused individual.

When you believe you are prepared and are then faced with the reality that you are not can shut you down and get you killed in the real world. You do not have time to learn when you are being beaten o­n the street. You either fight or run if you can. I have seen 1st hand how people freeze when faced with the reality that their training has not been for survival but self improvement. There is nothing wrong with training to better yourself but we all must be honest and know the limitations to what we do.

Any teacher who tells you that they are preparing you for combat thru non-contact training or sportive training is lying to you or even worse – passing o­n untested false truths that have been handed down to them. Most have never tested what they practice outside of the dojo – that is a good thing. I do not advocate instructors picking fights o­n the street to see if what they do works but I do want to see instructors being honest with their students. Teach your students what you wish but be honest about its purpose and ultimate goal. If you are teaching true real world survival skills great! But if you are teaching a way that is more geared toward sport and personal growth be honest with yourself and your students about it.

The world has changed in many ways but at the same time it has stayed the same. We are less violent o­n a whole in America but we still have the threat of violence in our daily lives. The violence is as modern as we are. We are faced with weapons, drugs, and skilled assailants. Most of our martial arts have stayed in the past and are not prepared for today’s violence. Accept the reality of your training. Question the validity of your way in a real world situation. Don’t believe you are greater then you are – the truth could get you in trouble!

OSU!

Brian Wright

This article taken from https://www.realfightingdojo.com

Takemichikaikan..............real fighting

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed quiet a bit already. I am pro contact in martial arts. That is why I enjoy Kyokushin. However the article has quiet a strong tone in it to put down styles that are non contact, which in my opinion is somewhat ignorant.

For you to say this article is ignorant is showing how you wish to find problems with everything one reads. The article is explaining how a Black Belt could bring false hope to those who don't experience factors outside their sports related or non contact arts. It also states that if you take those arts to improve yourself then by all means do it. But don't put false faith in what is not preparing you for self defense. If you truly are a full contact practionar you should have seen the article for its true meaning, which is not to offend any one. As a martial arts community we must be educated and prepared for what is out there. I think the article clearly explains false hope can be a downfall.

No I agree. False hope is a downfall, but I don't think its strictly to those who practice non contact. I agree though, that a lot of people run around super confident (and sometimes arrogant) that they have a black belt. I also agree that confidence and arrogance can get them into trouble.

There was a time when a Shotokan practitioner (please don't take this as a slam against Shotokan) who was a black belt and quiet cocky that he could beat anyone in a fight or tournement. He came to our Kyokushin school and ended up losing BADLY to one blue belt and one orange belt. Blue and orange in our style are fairly low levels.

Sorry, I don't mean to seem like "I find problems with everything one reads"... thats not like me in the least bit.

y'know, that's twice now that you've started threads that suggest that all black belts from other styles of karate (as well as all those who do not do contact) are not able to defend himself.

also, your tone very much suggests that if we do not agree with what you have presented, then we are not 'real fighters'.

there is a difference between opening and maintaining a debate and blowing your own trumpet.

anyway.

i have a problem with that article because it addresses ALL black belts, from all styles as if they are the same.

is a tkd black belt the same as hwarang-do black belt?

is a tkd black belt the same as a tsd black belt?

are black belts from kyokushin, shotokan, isshinryu, shorin ryu, goju ryu the same?

to make a blanket statement about all black belts is, for lack of a better term, 'ignorant'.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

IMHO, a person who has earned a black belt should be the first to realize that a piece of cloth does not define you to be a great fighter, but it is defined by the person who wears it.

A Black Belt is just a white belt that don't know when to quit!

I have not once bragged or suggested my style is dominant. D.M. like you said, " there is a difference between opening and maintaining a debate and blowing your own trumpet". You are trying accuse me of doing so when I'm giving my opinion. In a way you seem like you wish to be a defender of any one who doesn't like the article. If you don't like the article comment thats fine, this is an opinion, but when you make accusations that I'm a braggart and i denounce all styles then you are the ignorant one for twisting thoughts. If you wish to twist what's said thats fine but don't expect everyone to think your right. I will comment on one more part. Yes I've started this twice but everyone wishes to go into a fued. A well put together topic must start with some one willing to speek their mind. This section is called Combative Arts. Do you expect anything less? I never said any one is not a real fighter, but one who open minded will understand the article and not take offense.

I like the article, I like what it's saying, but the author should really have an editor look at it before passing it along.

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives."

-- Jackie Robinson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-- Edmund Burke

there is a difference between an open mind and a rational mind.

open mind is giving everything a fair chance that it might be correct.

a rational mind tells me that the article is full of holes.

what it states is valid

BUT

it is only valid for cases where the argument is true.

as i said, not all black belts are the same.

even different schools of the same style will have different black belts.

one point raised in the article (in relation to the guys in this forum).

I love it when I here people talking about how tough someone must be because they are a “Black Belt.”

when's the last time anyone here has made that kind of comment?

and that's where i kinda have a problem with the article as it is presented.

none of us here have ever held any idea that a black belt means good fighter.

we know what it means to learn and what it means to train and some of us here know what it means to fight someone.

from my experience, the only ones who think that a black belt means good fighter are people who do not do any martial art.

as for my suggestion to your 'trumpet blowing', i was also refering to the other thread you started.

you question the validity of 'non-contact' classes.

which then turned into a 'full-contact is best' discussion.

there are a lot of good points in the article but as i said, it in no way represents all martial arts.

the article has another problem in that it is too short and as such leaves a lot of room for someone (i.e me) to interpret the words as he sees fit.

in this case i saw it as an attack on other schools (as you said it was from your school's site).

i'm reading these posts after a long day in traffic and with my slow working, tired mind i can see that i have been a little harsh (again.....).

too many times have i seen some guy turn up, suggest that all styles except his is trash, then use other people's articles, often out of context and generally mis-reading the intention of the original article.

i'm sure you know what i mean.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I think i understand Drunken Monkey's point. When i read this article, i felt as if i was reading something written by a guy who never participated in a martial art, or at least that had not participated for any length of time. I was given the impression this was someone who laughed at martial artists as a whole. This was my impression.

The article is not well written. It is also full of generalizations and bold statements. Some people here get tired of hearing me talking about myself, or what i've done here and there, but i toss out my experiences as examples, not as a means to show off. On the other hand, this person talks in 3rd person form, as if he is neither a black belt, nor a street fighter... but a couch potato. I don't have much respect for the opinions of couch potatoes. Things always look so cut and dry to a couch potato, but... they aren't.

A black belt is a means to indicate when someone has obtained 'mastery' of the 'basics.' It is not an indication that they are a master fighter that can win any confrontation, regardless of the circumstances. There really aren't that many black belt persons that hold that attitude. But, at the same time, every person is an individual, every system is different, and no two confrontations are ever alike. So, of course obtaining a black belt doesn't make you invincible, but it also doesn't make you a fool... as this article insinuates.

The basis to his argument is obvious, and it could be said in one sentence. "Just because you have a black belt, doesn't mean you can handle any street confrontation."

And there it is.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro