• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kyokushin or Shotokan

G Money Slick

full contact - i hit you 100% so that you dont get up and i defend with all my might as you are trying to do the same. street - same deal

semi contact - same techniques but i hit 50% so we can go to work the next day and not the ER does this mean you defend 100%??? or 50% if you defend 100% you will think your better than you really are if the guys hitting 50% so we believe its better to defend 100% against 100% thats only when you will really know.

i dont advocate doing full contact every night of the week but it should be done at least two times a week with the other nights semi contact (not non contact) to have the safety zone there so you can try new things without getting injured, if they work at 50% try them at 100% before you say they really work cause mate, they jsut wont if you cant test it at 50%

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

• 3 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

full contact... 100%.....

lets see, does that mean you punch, kick, elbow, knee, break limbs, force joints and tear at muscles with full intention to hurt/damage/incapacitate etc etc at least two times a week? :roll:

*edited a typo*

Edited by Drunken Monkey

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I have always been interested in Kyokushin.

Have never really had time to spend talking or watching a good school though, the ones i saw i was slightly disappointed with.

but someday I do plan on spending time looking into it more.

Drunken Monkey Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

full contact... 100%.....

lets see, does that mean you punch, kick, elbow, knee, break limbs, force joints and tear at muscles with full intention to hurt/damage/incapacitate etc etc at least two times a week?

*edited a typo*

My opinion is that full contact kyokushin stlye sparring is as as close as you can get to the real thing. What develops spirit and bushido attitude......testing ones self, pushing ones self to the max and not showing fear. You can not do this point sparring or semi contact. The only rules we have is no kansetsu geri or elbow to the head. If your arm breaks due to getting punched in the arm that is fine and you live and learn but if you grab their arm and hold it then try to break it of course thats not right. We are not brawlers,the fight is full of technique. I am not saying this type of sparring is street fighting but i am saying this is the only thing that is close to it at all. Yes we spar to full capacity at least two times a week no pads. Although kyokushin dont punch to the head, due to the in ability to toughen up the nose or jaw. They focus to the rest of the body, it is no doubt in my mind that a 100% punch coming to your chest is as real as a 100% punch coming to your nose, so we keep it all below the neck as it is not hard to adapt from a chest to nose punch (20cm?), the no punches to the head rule is mainly for competition any way, we do hit to the head in the dojo. not as hard as the chest though. The closest possible scenario that puts the mental pressure as well as physical on you. Do you know how many karate styles out there and other martial arts who spar that could not take a punch and never have experienced the pressure of somone trying to belt the * out of them. Actually some have but usually its on the street, great if you never get hit but if you do your dead or you pack yourself as you are not aware of the stress and nerves involved in a confrontation. I say make it hard in the dojo so its easy in the street becasue in the street the sensei will not stop the fight if you got seriously hurt.

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

i would choose Kyokushin, :D although my opinion may be biased........

i do think Shotokan is a well developed style however, ive never had the chance to train it.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Also depends on what you want to get out of the style. I don't take karate so that I can be a tough street fighter; I've never been in a street fight, just pathetic hallway brawls 10 years ago in junior high. And I don't plan on getting into any street fights. I'd rather train for the enjoyment of the art, for the technique, the strength, the confidence, etc, etc, rather than train for the small chance that I ever get in a street fight with someone.

At my Shotokan club we don't do full contact except at a special kumite class with full protective gear. I don't see the point in doing full contact unprotected. We're not there to hurt each other. We're there to have fun and learn karate, which is more than just hitting each other. And if I practice the philiosophy of karate correctly, I should never get into a street fight in the first place.

Just my 2 cents.

Wap

"Fighting fighting. Same Same"

"But you know karate!"

"Someone always know more..."

I'd rather train for the enjoyment of the art, for the technique, the strength, the confidence, etc, etc, rather than train for the small chance that I ever get in a street fight with someone.

thats a nice ethic, something a lot of my fellow students and I also practice,

if you ever have the chance to train with a reputable Kyokushin dojo, youll find that most emphasis in kyokushin goes into technique, strength and confidence,

after all, it is an artform based around ZEN, (NOT zen-bhuddisim,) theirfore we train to attain the mental state of Zen, and where using Zen-mindpower to brek five baseball bats with ones shin might not appeal to everyone, its also not the only way to convey the different uses and application for this type of mindpower throughout life.

Ive learnt to set goals five-to-ten times higher that i would have before i started MA, and to accomplish these goals.

To me, Kyokushin is about a lot more that just beating each other up........................................

Osu. <<------(something that is especially emphasised in the training of Kyokushin is the power of Osu.)

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."