• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hey all--n00b here, both to the board and to tkd.

Have just started sparring and need to get myself equipped. What are people's recommendations for brands? :-?

I already know the parts that I need to pick up as far as my dojang is considered--hogu, helmet, mouthguard, shinguards with instep, forearm guards. Am girl. Will defend crotch with elbows of death if need be. (j/k. well, sorta. :P ) In any case, a cup isn't exactly on my list of things I need to spend money on.

Oh, and while I'm at it, what are y'all's experiences as far as sizing goes? I'm small--110 lbs for now, maybe will drop a few more pounds as the workout gets tougher and if I want to be in a lower weight class, and 5'4". I've been borrowing a size 3 Vision hogu from the stash in the back and it seems to fit ok, but then again, what do I know, right?

Oh, and nice to meetcha! *bows*

p.s. if this question's already been asked before, just smack me and link me to the thread.

Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Aragorn! We missed you.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If this is an olympic tkd place you may have to buy certain brands that meet requirements, unfortunately I dont spar with those types of equipment so I'm not sure what they should be. You should definitely get a female groin protector however. Even though you dont have testicles you can damage your privates. The point of the groin protector is to distribute force over a larger area thereby lessening impact.

Actually I did talk to an olympic sparrer later on he says Addidas, Macho and Tekno are your best bets for your equipment. Hope that helps.

Long Live the Fighters!

Thanks, that does help a little. At least the brand names. Someone did mention that he got Adidas shin guards and didn't like them very much.

We do Olympic-style tkd, but everyone who I've talked to hasn't gotten much more specific. No one's mentioned a female groin protector yet, but I haven't talked to the competition team. I'm feeling the need for forearm and shin/instep guards, though.

Well the only pieces of equipment you NEED are Helmet, Hogu, groin protector and mouthguard speaking of which I highly recommend Shock Doctors. Shin and Forearm guards are optional however the first time you bang shins with someone doing a round kick at the same time you do you will realize they are a good idea. I could name some good brands for some of this stuff however like I said being olympic they have certain requirements. Tigear shin guards can stand up to a baseball bat with supposedly no pain but those arent allowed in olympic tkd I dont think. I would think your sabumnim would be able to help you get started he might even have some of this equipment in his backroom. At least as a starter set til you can see what every one else is wearing and what they have found to work. As to the sizing with it's probably better to have stuff a little to small as long as its not something like a foot pad where its going to clip the toes. The reason I say that is most of the stuff has elastic on it now so it will stretch to fit around you if its close.

Long Live the Fighters!

hey Sleepy..

I fyou are in the Bay Area there is a great school that I have alot of respect for there..

Its called Golden State Taekwondo...

I believe.

There is an Eddie Kroft(might be mispelled) that either owns it or is one of the main instructors.

Their skills are excellent, and Eddie is a pro boxer, so they have excellent footwork, bodywork, and handwork with a little outside influence.

I know its unrelated, but i thought i would share

i would recommend buying adidas, kwon, or tekno hogu. shin guards and forearm pads arent really important since ur a beginner so get cheap ones for now. same goes for helmets. u can pick up the boiling type single mouthpieces or the double with the hole in the middle, but i recommend single since ur gonna have to kiyup alot.

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

Kihaping with a mouthguard in your mouth negates its effectiveness. Unless you can do it without opening your mouth that is. In order for a mouthpieace to work properly your jaw must be closed. That way the mouthpiece helps support the jaw and teeth.

Long Live the Fighters!

I would think your sabumnim would be able to help you get started he might even have some of this equipment in his backroom.

There's equipment in the back room that we can borrow, but it's still recommended that we get our own. I've looked around our class (which is 6th through 3rd kubs, or green belts to blue-red tips) and everyone's got either Macho, Adidas, or Vision equipment. Vision contributes to our program and sets up shop at all of our tournaments, however, so I'm not particularly surprised. As for getting cheap arm/shin guards, I think I prefer to invest. After all, I'm not going to quit anytime soon, and I may as well spend the money now, right?

hey Sleepy..

I fyou are in the Bay Area there is a great school that I have alot of respect for there..

Its called Golden State Taekwondo...

I am in the Bay Area--Location: Berkeley. I believe Golden State Taekwondo attends our tournament in April. If so, yes, they have good fighters. Unfortunately, I can't say as much for their sportsmanship. Well, not so much the fighter's sportsmanship as the coaches' sportsmanship.

What I meant sleepy is that alot of instructors sell martial arts equipment to their students. He might have some of the stuff you need for sale at his dojang. If not you can look around and see if there is an MA supply store near you that way you can try on some of the stuff...the salesperson will probably be able to fit you pretty good.

Long Live the Fighters!

• 1 month later...

My dojang uses Rhingo, while the instructors use Adidas. I'm also a girl and my instructors make me use a female groin protector. In November, I'm going to a tournament and they required women to wear a groin protector. I hope that could help you :wink:

TKD RULES!!!

Yellow/Green Belt aka High-Yellow