• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how do you bring down someone bigger than yourself?

Strike hard, strike fast....

If he grabs you, using your whole hand, pich tricep, belly, hamstring. this should make him stop attacking you for about a minute or so.

you could then have the time to escape, or if still cornered - saty on him and control the head with your hands. turn the head in a corkscrew like motion towards the ground. once he falls, kick and run.

This was taught to me as part of the Shaolin Chin-na techniques.

no matter how big and mad you are, you get pinched in the triceps - the fight leaves you. you definitely get humbled. try it.

Your first 4 words were the best advice. I don't really agree with the rest though. Not too practical in a real fight with a big angry guy pumping with adrenaline.

Reminds me of a situation about 18 years ago, I was in a bar with a buddy and 2 girls having a drink. My buddy, who was a rather small guy, got a little too animated and bumped a big guy standing behind him. The big guy was a little toasted too and proceeded to begin intimidating my friend, so I stepped in to try to keep the peace. As soon as I opened my mouth, though, the guy not only turned on me, but his TWIN brother also. Both guys went about 6' 5" and 270+ and I recognized them as former ballplayers at a local high school. I realized I had a problem on my hands and knew that my talking wasn't going to get us anywhere. They were determined to pound me, so I made a quick decision to strike first, hard, and fast, upon which the nearest brother dropped like a sack of potatoes. I turned to the other brother who was staring dumbfounded at his twin, and before I gave him very long to think about it, I went at him, too.

Well, of course the police showed up and ticketed us all for fighting (no arrest, thank goodness). At court, the judge took a look at them, and then a look at me, then another look at them, and told us to spend a couple sessions at an AA meeting for punishment. And he told them to watch who they pick fights with.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"If I cannot become one of extraordinary accomplishment, I will not walk the earth." Zen Master Nakahara Nantenbo

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elbows_and_knees, I see your point. the ideal time to use this is right at the beginning of a fight, before their adrenaline kicks in. But, pain compliance does open up your opponent for a takedown\arm bar\...

Sometimes, what i call a distract shot, is needed to apply a takedown - because the person is bigger than you, more aggressive,... this distract shot could be a kick to the shin, instide of the knee, stomp on the toes, whip of the fingers into the eyes, or a muscle garb.

yeah, I agree. I do similar things when I grapple. If I pinch skin, I'm not too worried about them punching me as they move away, because punches aren't allowed. Also, they aren't experiencing an adrenaline rush, so they feel it more. In a fight, there usually isn't time for that and there are too many other factors involved.

• 1 month later...

Why fight him, fighting is only done for defensive reasons, not because you want to. If you really want to take him down, approached him in a crowded room and loudly state "Hey Joe, look man I've heard/know/feel, that you've got a problem with me how about we talk about it over lunch" Chances are its a misunderstanding and I'll even go so far as to say that once you two start talking you'll both start thinking that the other is an all right guy. If not, then you took him down by taking the moral high ground, addressed your fears, and know who to stay away from. Theres enough evil in the world without creating more hatred for the sake of pride. Good luck.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

George Orwell

• 1 month later...

Being a small fighter (I'm only 5'2" and 115 lbs.), I've found that when I'm sparring against the 6'2" guys at my school it's best to tire them out and then go in for the kill. Since I obviously don't have the power they have behind all of my strikes, I have my endurance and flexibility to make up for that. Keep moving around, stay light on your feet, and avoiding their attempts until they get tired. Hope this helps! :)

"It's not just Karate, it's a way of life."

• 1 month later...

Most of the replies so far depend upon you being able to throw lighting fast combinations. These are good answers but are dependant on your own fighting ability.

My view, taking into account the size of your oponent would be to attack the legs. Low kicks to the knees and inner thigh areas will soon leave an unsuspenting opponent incapable of fighting on. Groin strikes can also be effective but do not use them as a single attack.

This type of attack should allow you to maintain a safe distance and prevent your opponent from grabbing you and taking you to the ground.

Rememenber, do not treat this as it is a sparring session, it is a real situation.You need to end the fight in seconds not minutes.

Daikento Shukokai Karate

i think i would prefer to go to the ground against a considerably bigger opponent. try and draw an attack and then use their size against them in a throw, or just go for the double leg.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

hit the same leg alot and do not forget to punch belly and ribs in between

and keep hitting the same leg in a while he will limps aroud and htat slows him down the you can do alot of hitting then because he will be slower from matt blake

do not forget to punch belly and ribs in between

Not a bad idea, however; they are bigger than you... and will probably have better adominal muscles than you...

Aim for the groin area, and the upper thigh near the groin area... (There are some good pressure points roud that area.)

If it helps, hit/strike at any joints, or hit at the knee caps sideways (so that they will collapse to the left/right other than forward), aim at the ankles etc...

Basically, aim under the torso... That way, you can bring him down using his own weight.

hit the same... and keep hitting

Yep! I agree with that! Keep hitting... full out! :lol:

Being a small fighter (I'm only 5'2" and 115 lbs.), I've found that when I'm sparring against the 6'2" guys at my school it's best to tire them out and then go in for the kill

Same here too! But I'm a male! :D I find that when I sparr/fight I keep on my toes, and bounce round... Also I go around in circles (confuses the enemy; though I don't get confused! :-?) Then when they begin to slow down, that's where you attack!

Also (I found this out from experiment in kumite) have an area left defencless... Like your chest area... Don't guard that area, that way you know that your opponent will try to attack that area, and so you have something to defend against...

Its no use having everything guarded, or otherwise you cannot counter easily... yeah? Try it out... It works!

To know the road ahead; ask those coming back... ~ Chinese Proverb

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

my favorite tool in sparring someone much larger than myself is to maintain distance. stay just outside their striking range and when they strike at you slip in quick and deliver a fast strike to a target below their center (knees are a big one, instep hurts a lot, toes will usually annoy-but should be avoided unless you are using them to "stick" your opponent in one place and deliver other strikes) then move out! stay just outside so that he believes he can hit you. if you are too far, he'll just walk forward. also, no matter how big a train is, it cannot hit you if you don't stand on the tracks. if you stay at that distance i mention, he will be forced to try a linear attack. when this happens, move off his line of attack and respond!

some thoughts on karateKarateRanch Blog