• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how do you bring down someone bigger than yourself?

Heres my advice you might be scared of him but that might come in handy cause once you start hitting him youll be to scared to stop so just hit him hard and fast it will stun him and just keep hitting as fast as you can dont worry about perfecting you your technique in this fight and most fights in school dont last for more than a minute or if you dont want to fight then just go crazy and flip out screaming at him as loud as can scream cuss words and stuff then he might chicken out ive seen it happen alot, my friend has dodged a couple fights that way

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's something we do during training sometimes. It's almost like roleplaying situations where one or more people will suddenly become aggressive and you just have to try and react. Nothing like suddenly being shouted at to test your reactions.

earth is the asylum of the universe where the inmates have taken over.

don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers.

if you were taking on a big jock guy with little to no martial arts train ever, is it better to keep your distance until an opening, or attack him head on? also, in the situation he tries to tackle you, is it better to knee him in the face or hammerfist both sides of his head?

you are in the street though - you have no clue what training this guys has. as for your defense to the takedown, neither will work effectively, because first you need to get out of the way of the attack. When he shoots, you sprawl. THEN you worry about knees.

I wouldn't say you need to get out of the way first and then get him to the ground, if you have an effective way of meeting and moving in on his charge I think it would be much more effective to do so...

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Notice I didn't say anything about getting him to the ground. The sprawl doesn't always result in going to the ground. You sprawl on him, then knee him in the head, or do whatever else you want to do. If you sprawl him all the way to the ground, you may have the option to get up and run.

regardless, when it comes to defending a double leg, the best way to go is the sprawl.

you have to keep in mind that if he knows what he's doing, he's not charging from across the room. He can be nose to nose with you and still shoot in for the double leg. if he moved first, it is very likely that you won't have a lot of time to "meet and move in on his charge" and if he gets your legs, you're going down. Get them out of the way first. Then counter.

Notice I didn't say anything about getting him to the ground. The sprawl doesn't always result in going to the ground. You sprawl on him, then knee him in the head, or do whatever else you want to do. If you sprawl him all the way to the ground, you may have the option to get up and run.

regardless, when it comes to defending a double leg, the best way to go is the sprawl.

you have to keep in mind that if he knows what he's doing, he's not charging from across the room. He can be nose to nose with you and still shoot in for the double leg. if he moved first, it is very likely that you won't have a lot of time to "meet and move in on his charge" and if he gets your legs, you're going down. Get them out of the way first. Then counter.

Good point and I agree, however I think if he has your legs I dont think youll go down unless he really knows what hes doing, someone could just use techniques on his back and grab his head.........works for me when someone tries to pull that anyway....

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

it doesn't take a lot to pull the legs up and break your balance. If he keeps your feet on the ground, then yes, you could do that. However, once your feet have left the ground, you can hit him all you want and you will have no power.

1. you are off the ground

2. you are going backward.

Even if it's a sloppy takedown, he can still pull it off if he keeps his momentum going forward.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people incorrectly learn how to do double-legs, and thus they bend over when attempting such, exposing their neck to a lock and a reversal. The correct approach is shooting while maintaining a proper relatively upright posture, knees bent and then straightened, usually with a slight forward, side, or backward lift, or even a forceful forward, back, or side lift, although this leaves opportunities open for additional reversals.

There are more ways than one to do a double-leg, let's get that clear. A single to a double, a double under and then over (attacking the achilles first and then after creating imbalance sliding up to the calves or higher, usually performed from straight-on), a double-up (usually performed form the side, you force the legs together and scoop the person up), etc. Yet, in all cases, it is essential not to bend the torso over (a slight bend may be acceptable, for dealing with smaller opponents, but a risk is associated with it), and instead bend at the knees, one with knee to floor, and the other with foot still placed firmly to ground. In this, the head is usually placed 'firmly' flat against the side,front,back of the thigh or hip, to prevent a capture of the neck. Also, usually, at least one hand leads the opposer's (uke's) arm away from the entry with one arm, similar to opening a curtain, then that arm drops down to strengthen the hold created by the first arm, which needs to enter 'deep' in and around the leg(s). A note: attempting to lift 'at' the knees is not a good idea, as the opposer can quickly drop on his knees, close the space behind the knee (a joint), and trap your arms. Better to aim just under the calves or just under the thighs. depending on what your ultimate goal is and the angle of assault.

So, basically what i'm saying is, your postulations are based on the belief someone would commit to a leg takedown incorrectly. In such cases, a multitude of opportunities arise. After all, windows of opportunity are essentially errors committed by your opponent.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro