• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

how do you bring down someone bigger than yourself?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many years back, when i was in the military, there was this 5'7" 140lb guy who was arguing with a 6'6" 225lb guy. I will refrain from posting their names, and instead refer to them as Little guy and Big guy.

Big guy, a rather obnoxious fella, with over-large legs and a smallish head, was ridiculing Little guy. Basically, Little guy had been stating he was a kung fu artist and Big guy said Little guy couldn't possibly take him down. When verbally pushed to state how, Little guy said he would punch Big guy in the nose and do a few other silly things. At which point Big guy guffawed and said that Little guy couldn't even 'reach' his nose.

Well, this scene was rather comical, and you had to be there to enjoy the humor of it all. What i was looking at was a rather odd looking big guy, with a high pitched voice, arguing with a rather unimpressive little guy that may or may not have actually been a martial artist (to tell you the truth, i had my doubts). The Big guy was ridiculing martial arts as a whole, and not merely the Little guy, while Little guy was doing a piss-poor effort at attempting to explain how a little guy could prevail over a big guy.

After a time, i couldn't bear it anymore. I courteously interjected and agreed with the Big guy, stating that aiming to cause damage to high targets on a Big guy wasn't even remotely a good idea. Entertainingly enough, Big guy happily responded with an exuberant, "YEAH!"

A few more comments by me, followed by a series of yeahs and whoops by Big guy, and i snuck in a little comment, "before you aim for such targets, you need to bring him down to your size."

Big guy entertainingly responded with, "YEAH!... Huh? What?!?"

Suddenly, all that obnoxious fury was directed at me. "Oh yeah?!? How do you think you would bring someone like me down?! Huh?!"

Hmm... it seemed rather obvious to me he wanted a demonstration. :brow:

Well, i'm always up for a demonstration, so i told him i would first distract him, causing him to go off balance and then throw him on his back. On cue, he guffawed and repeated his challenging mantra. On cue, i open-hand slapped him straight in the face (blocked his vision, spooked him, and encouraged his head to move backwards), then dropped down, cupped both his heels, and while lifting, thrust the top of my head into his groin.

*whoosh* (sound effects included)

He flew in the air, a full 4' clearance, and landed firmly on his back... against the pavement of the barracks.

I watched and wondered what his response would be. I was surprised to see him just lay there for a few moments (counting his body parts i assumed), and then yell in excitement at what just occurred. He got up and clearly showed his newfound respect for the arts, and for me.

And... in all this story, what does it have to do with the topic? Well... pretty much everything, but i'll leave that to the readers to decipher. :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

hehe, i would have aimed for his center, but he was too tall. The head into the groin was merely a pivot point, to ensure the goliath fell backwards, whilst i held, and then lifted his heels. A simple technique really, but it was sufficient to make my point.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

That's like how they taught us to make a tackle in high school football. Put head in center of body and push while grabbing back of legs and lifting.

I never knew football was a martial art.

when you create the world's largest trailer park, you're going to have tornadoes

I had a fight in high school with a guy who was taught a nasty move by his big cousin (size wize). We were on cement and he bent over, grabbed me around the waist and picked me up off the ground, his next move was to drop me over backward (my back). I saw trouble coming and grabbed him around the neck with my right arm (from the back) so that his head was then under my arm. And I them fell over backward. I don't suppose I have to say much more? He could not get his hands out to save his head.

"You do not truly know someone until you fight him." - Seraph

"To be the best, you must be the best." - Me

good counter.

To avoid getting in such a situation in the first place, whenever someone shoots their upper body to tackle your lower body (waist or legs), commit to what is called a 'sprawl.' A sprawl is where you spread your legs out in a 'v' shape behind you, while putting the majority of your weight down on the head and shoulders of the person who attempted to tackle you. This will force them into a face plant, or at the very least... onto their hands and knees, with you on top of them... still sprawled. If there is momentum to their tackle, you need to sort of hop backwards while sprawling, to force you into an expectant angle... while simultaneously placing your hands on thier shoulders.

Ask a wrestler to demonstrate. :)

Intro