• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Preventing Fights

thats all fine and dandy. but with the court and criminal systems what they are today, if you do not demonstrate having made an attempt to pacify the situation you will be charged with any number of charges ranging from mayhem, to agravated assault, to worse depending ont he damage done to an opponent.

I have never been one to agree with warning an opponent you are a trained fighter, I see no reason to put all your cards on the table, and just doing what i posted earlier is more then enough.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have to agree with tommarker. it`s not only WHAT you say, it`s much more HOW you say it.

I think it is quite interesting how many martial arts teach different things to prevent fights. But all of them have one thing in common.They all want preventation to be done in a confident and direct manner.

Be everything. Be nothing.

Wise advice that was given to me is: Avoid using words such as trouble, fight, etc when you are trying to talk someone down from a situation.

It is more advisable to say "everything is cool, we are all relaxed here" instead of "there is no trouble, no one wants a fight".

The reason for this is that the instigator will probably only hear "trouble, fight" and this will spur then on.

Edited by busling

That is interesting, I'm not sure if people like that understand anything else but blows. I've been taught that once in a postion such as yours, the moment someone begins to speak is the time to strike, fast, and hard. I believe in avoiding conflict at all times, it's to bad others don't follow this path. So, I would have to say, enough talking, let communicate, if you get my meaning.

You must be stable and balanced in your foot work, if you have to use your martial knowledge in combat, your intent should be to win. If you do strike, you must release great power! The martial arts are easy to learn, but difficult to correct.

The only people I have 'trouble' with are the ones that aren't in full control of their faculties. Talking them down is like speaking another language. I never have to practice this funny conflict resolution business. :P

My advice, look big but not too big, tough but not too tough. You look like a challenge but not so much that their pride/ego makes you a target.

The only people I have 'trouble' with are the ones that aren't in full control of their faculties. Talking them down is like speaking another language. I never have to practice this funny conflict resolution business.

Hmm... i worked 3+ years in a psychiatric crisis center (equivalent to an emergency room for psychiatric issues). Over 100 new patients a day, for over 1000 days (the vast majority of them brought in handcuffed by police and many having a long history of criminal violence). I believe that comes out to over 100k test cases (conservative number).

Communication is very effective to those who aren't in full control of their faculties. Indeed, in most cases it is significantly more effective than it would be with someone who is in full control of their faculties.

Psych nurses that show disrespect are often assaulted and those most effective in de-escalating are the ones who show respect and communicate with a firm voice and a confident manner. Like me. :P

My advice, look big but not too big, tough but not too tough. You look like a challenge but not so much that their pride/ego makes you a target.

I watched both petite women and men of small stature handle conflicts very effectively, by being confident, communicative, and respectful. Mass is a factor, but it's not everything. And, acting tough is actually a feed to the fight/flight response... so i wouldn't recommend it. Instead, just be yourself, and be confident of 'who' you are and what you are capable of. Not overconfident... just confident.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Heh, no need to go to the extremes. I'm big so I rarely have troubles, but not NFL linebacker huge so I'm not going to be a trophy fight for some punk. And the people I do have trouble with are on drugs, or drunk. The others as you mentioned I feel pity for and just let it go, and try to be understanding. Above all I guess it's the fact that I don't go looking for trouble.