• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Is this Dojo even cheesier than an 80's Kung Fu movie?

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

so if this school does indeed teach you 'shun gung' then it is real and legit.

unfortunately, what it teaches isn't...

i'm kind of surprised this style still exists. While it attributed itself to the triads (because a small han sent members to other places to learn and they meshed the three styles and four legends they learned: hence the primary reason 'cafeteria method' is not widely practiced) the powerful tongs and triads used tiger systems like hung gar and lau gar.

both of my big named fathers thought the style no longer existed.

so, if you are into *preserving* things... feel free to make some videos of what you learn i'm sure some other experts would like to see this some of this old beast...before it goes away.

Ah! Mantis Grasshopper, i think you would do very nicely on a bowl of rice!

i'm a bit curious as to what that little quote of mine has to do with what you've posted?

anyway,

traditionally in chinese culture, it isn't a kung fu style.

shun gung is akin to spirit calling.

it has nothing to do with legends and actual kung fu styles of any sort.

it was one of the things that wong fei hung hated about the boxer rebellion because 'use' of shun gung lead to the deaths of many chinese people believing that they were protected by spirits.

as for it's existance.

there's a pretty famous chinese cult type thing here that bases itself on classical taoist teachings that has some sort of spirt calling/shun gung teachings

(and claims to healing).

can't quite recall the name but i'm almost positive it had something to do with 'healing light' (in cantonese of course....)

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

shun gung is akin to spirit calling.

it has nothing to do with legends and actual kung fu styles of any sort.

It was ref'd as a 'legend' when i was instructed because of it's massive failure in the boxer rebellion...but that wasn't even animal calling that was an iron shirt belief and failure, wasn't it?

i may have used the wrong word in calling the four things 'legends'. they probably would be better called 'magics' of shamanistic nature. but of course they wouldn't work in the boxer rebellion: what animal wants to get shot? or perhaps they moved too fast for thier human to follow... :brow:

there's a pretty famous chinese cult type thing here that bases itself on classical taoist teachings that has some sort of spirt calling/shun gung teachings

(and claims to healing).

can't quite recall the name but i'm almost positive it had something to do with 'healing light' (in cantonese of course....)

are they the ritualistic animist taoists that dress in yellow robes and have claims to a hang gung technique? and make videos in the robes which end up obscuring the view so you don't really learn anything?

Well, since this thread isn't quite dead, I should just add this on so you know for future reference - Chinese stylists do not go to a dojo. Most commonly it's called a "gwoon" or "kwoon", not sure on the Pinyin there either.

The game of chess is much like a swordfight; you must think before you move.

"was an iron shirt belief and failure, wasn't it"

some of it.

the thing with iron shirt is that it was known to be a long to develope kung fu skill.

it was easier to get people to believe that they were protected by spirits.

spirit calling, not animal spirit calling.

it was nothing like....

"....of shamanistic nature".

it was calling on the demi-gods of chinese myths, most famously, the monkey king, kwang yee, na ja, etc etc but mainly the ones known for their fighting.

"are they the ritualistic animist taoists that dress in yellow robes and have claims to a hang gung technique"

nope.

(where did you get the idea about it being about calling on animals?)

they were a bunch of people who dress normally on most occasions, telling you of how to attain a healthier life and future by following their ways and teachings and stuff and then ask for money.

they don't sell videos.

they did wear the taoist dress for the rituals though.

some of it looked like proper taoist ritual but it's just the underlying purpose of them was a bit iffy.

i mean, they offered the usual services such as funeral services and grave preparations but there was also a lot of things about being to heal people that i don't agree with,

especially the procedures surrounding it.

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

• 2 years later...

I was realy interested in the discussion about Far East Fighting Arts. I trained at that school for three months and moved to Eastern Oregon where I now take Tang Soo Do. I also had questions about the history of the school and Sheng Hun and when I did ask questions I received answers that did'nt seem quite right. My Chinese friends had to correct some things also. The instructer/owner however is quite exceptional. His power and abilities are increadible. The style he teaches is beautiful, graceful and brutal at the same time. It is truely a more advanced form of Kung Fu. The things I saw were amazing do to the power of animal forms. I do think the Da Shifu is not as concerned about history as one might want. Where did he learn it? He was instructed by a descendent of the fighting tongs when he lived in San Francisco. That is why the style is so brutal...an eye for an eye. Basically a Triad style. The school on Tigard, Oregon seems to be gone however the instructer still has a school in Stockton, California. Originaly he had three. I would check it out if you could. You would not be disapointed. I do miss that school. I don't miss all the bruises. Cliffdweller