• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Kiai.

Red Triangle student

hrmm i dont use it very often but when i do I have developed mine to the point it sounds like..

DIE...

but depending on when i am using it it can be more drawn out then others..

DIEEEEEE

etc.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiai, you shouldnt say it, if i told you to yell you wouldnt say YELL!!!!!!!! same thing, its a discription, as if i said to you do your "death scream" you wouldnt say death scream!!!!!!!!!!!! right? this is not a lesson i know most of you realise this. we teach not to drag it out as then you arent releasing the air properly your controling it and extending it ie: delaying it. it should not be short or long it should just be out of you as quick as you can, it comes from your tunden (below navel) not from your throat so try not to say an actual word. just let it out, dont be embarresed either, it does help, it does work and needs to be practiced. there are schools in japan that practice the kiai for perfection as if its a technique,which in our view it is. it is not rage it is focus and control.

If i told you i was good, you would say i am boasting. If i told you i wasnt, then you would know i was lieing...........

Kiai, you shouldnt say it, if i told you to yell you wouldnt say YELL!!!!!!!! same thing, its a discription, as if i said to you do your "death scream" you wouldnt say death scream!!!!!!!!!!!! right? this is not a lesson i know most of you realise this. we teach not to drag it out as then you arent releasing the air properly your controling it and extending it ie: delaying it. it should not be short or long it should just be out of you as quick as you can, it comes from your tunden (below navel) not from your throat so try not to say an actual word. just let it out, dont be embarresed either, it does help, it does work and needs to be practiced. there are schools in japan that practice the kiai for perfection as if its a technique,which in our view it is. it is not rage it is focus and control.

yeah.. I've heard about that before, and it's very true.

ohh btw.. nice username. Hayashi is one of my favorite japanese male names. :)

Kill is love

i don't know for sure, but i seem to recall reading that kiais have a specific noise depending on the technique or the target or something like that. come to think of it, i very well may have heard it from jerry love, you may wanna' ask him.

that said, mine's more or less just a loud "HA!".

"I hear you can kill 200 men and play a mean six string at the same time..."-Six String Samurai

It's funny when you find out your kiai means something silly in japanese. Especially when you've been using it for a long time, and then find out that you've actually been screaming something like say, 'fart', for the past few years.

When I did TSD, we had a guy that did a kiai that sounded like ***-hole. The first time he did it, he had the whole class laughing, and it just stuck LOL.

When I first started, I didn't use a kiai, but I did use the word "kihap" (korean word for kiai) when I did. I felt like a dork LOL.

Laurie F

Reading through some of these I am actually laughing here. LOL

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!