• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

We're talking Physics

Eh, no, 'speed' and 'velocity' are not the same thing. Yes, velocity is a vector. Velocity always has direction. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Speed = the rate at which something moves or Distance/Time.

Velocity = speed + direction.

The word Vector does mean the same thing as velocity. However, 'vector' is used in mathematics and 'velocity' is used in physics.

"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe physics is different in other countries... :lol:

In my part of the woods velocity is displacement in a given time. Displacement is the change in position with a direction, basically a vector, which is why velocity can be represented by a vector. Vectors aren't solely used in math because displacement, velocity, acceleration, and many more, can all be represented by vectors.

If went about applying physics to MA I might start at forces or energy, momentum, and impulses. If you want to hurt somebody you want to put a maximal force in the least time, without increasing momentum if possible. In english, you want to hit the punching bag as hard and quick as possible and having the bag bend instead of swing away.

When talking about forces generated by biological units, you are not just talking physics- you are talking Kinesiology. And when talking about the effects of force on those same entities, you are talking Kinematics. So, here you are:

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~pe/exs190web/190kines2.htm

Freedom isn't free!

you know, martial arts people always seem so into physics, yet they always mess it up somehow.

Hehe, my brother is a physics professor. A bit rusty myself, but when in doubt, i subject myself to one of his very interesting lectures.

Btw, good link there Delta. Thanks.

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

One thing missing from the link is the affect the CNS plays on force developement. You need to train your body to recruit the maximum number of muscle fibers for a given movement. Though that is out of the scope of the discussion it is still important to consider.

??

A bunch of guys/gals discuss a field that none of them specialize in (physics), and it's the science that's flawed?!?

What did i miss?

??

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

i meant this- from everything i can tell on the internet and in NEW text books, velocity is infact a vector, but, i have an old book here that says otherwise. apparently its wrong.

a broken arm throws no punches

well, five hundred years ago the earth was flat.

four hundred odd years ago, america didn't exist.

one hundred years ago, travelling to europe (for me) took weeks.

fifty years ago, your neighbour who you chat to everyday lived next door.

so...

how old is that book of yours?

:brow:

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

one hundred years ago, travelling to europe (for me) took weeks.

Travelling to Europe used to take you weeks one hundred years ago?? Blimey, Monkey, I didn't know you've been around as long as that! ;) :brow:

*Bows to very ancient Monkey* :lol:

"Was it really worth it? Only time and death may ever tell..." The Beautiful South - The Rose of My Cologne

Sheffield Steelers!