• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I'd like you to list your art and why you chose it over others. What is your style of fighting and why do you think it is effective?

My style is judo. I've always liked grappling so I was drawn to this art awhile ago. I personally don't like striking except for setting up a throw. Judo I think is somewhat similar to Aikido, you can learn throws from on comming punches, like ippon seoi or koshi guruma.

Try not to bring other's people arts down, I know we are all biased in our decision because we do that art.

Edited by sansoouser

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if i knew every art that i studied id say something better. but unfortunately in the military they only teach what works, they dont go into specifications of what styles they derive from. but i do know some of the stuff they teach the military as i have commented on this before. i just learn what my brother teaches me. but lately i have been doing some stuff as part of a club which teaches a combination of sambo, BJJ, and Muay Thai. if u ask me it doesnt get much more practical than that. its great for getting you in shape, its good for striking, and has nearly all the elements of grappling you could ask for. but then again im just a very practical person. learning those styles and military stuff as well as some outside JKD ur gonna be a practical fighter.

well if i knew every art that i studied id say something better. but unfortunately in the military they only teach what works, they dont go into specifications of what styles they derive from.

I don't find this to be particularly true. To quote one marine CQB instructor "I'm gonna teach you enough to get you killed".

The millitary (and police) tend to vary what they teach heavily by the interest of the instructor involved. Some of the millitary brances have standardized (a paired down version of BJJ is used among the Rangers); but they then just re-diversify (Systema is becomeing popular in millitary circles; though the US AFP I have played with don't really know how to make it work).

The purpose of unarmed training in the millitary is primarily on aggression and mindest... not on particularly effective unarmed fighting skills.

I've practised several arts . I hightlight the most important ones a lil.

boxing, I was 14 and choose this because kickboxing was very popular at the time but not available in my town , I just figgered boxing would be second best so I signed up. I still do it altough I can't train enough to compete anymore. I hope I can chance that again some day.

jiu jitsu- hmm was the most complete and self defense oriented art in my town at that time. I still practise it because it's fun. I'm not so sure about the self defense value but that's the way of training, not the techniques in itself.

krav maga- I got the opportunity to do a instructors course (ikmf) I figgered I would learn some new stuff quite fast and since I want to teach self defense anyway this seemed like a nice way to start.

The course was very intense , I didn't graduate but only got a few things to work on for the next test and I'll train like hell.

Thing with krav that I like is its aggressiveness, simple techniques (not simple enough to pass at once whahaha) I like the focuss on reality as I see it too. Multiple opponents, weapons, mental aspects, awareness etc.

Also they give specialized courses for close protection ( witch I'm involved with a lil bit as an event security guard)

They also specialize in military and police application, but that's not my cup of tea. I like intense courses too so I get a lot of training hours.

If I get a class or two a week but work a lot in the evenings it takes years to learn something. Now I take 1 or a few weeks off to train and get back to work.

I don't believe in styles being better than other styles, but this one really suits my demands best from what I have seen sofar.

I'll do a lot more courses in this art.

so vis pacem para bellum

it does somewhat vary that is true...but mostly there is a standard set of movements and way teaching...teachers each do it just a little bit differently though. thats a given but yeah soldiers are just so tough and strong and in great physical condition. they are very intense in their mindset along with knowing some great techniques. thats why they are such effective fighters. but anywho im getting just a little off topic so...back to the topic at hand.

About myself,

Taekwon-Do (traditional Oh Do Kwan)...TKD from a traditional stand point provides strong techniques adaptable to combat. The range of techniques allows attack and defense from numerous angles and distances. Long range (kicking), Medium range (low kicks and hand strikes), close range (knees, elbows, forehead), as well as the Ho Sin Sul techniques (joint destruction, takedowns, and restraints). All of which are incorporated into the traditional Oh Do Kwan/Ch'ang Hon TKD system.

Kodokan Judo...is complementary to the Ho Sin Sool of TKD as well as nicely complemented by the long range striking tools of TKD! All the "tore" out their know that an Osato-gari will put you out as fast as a roung kick or upset punch to the jaw!

Personally, these work best for me...I am a professional security agent who provides both event security as well as personal protection. When it turns physical these skills (coupled with other forms of armed force compliance) prove benificial for the job. Ho Sin Sool and Judo are great for arrest and control and the coupled with the hard style striking of TKD are well suited for preservation when the commitment level does not allow time for arrest and control!

TAEKWON!

Spookey

Do not defend against an attacker, but rather become the attacker...Destroy the enemy!

TAEKWON!

muay thai, judo and bjj - I like to compete, and these styles are highly competitve. I prefer striking and therefore and more partial to muay thai. I also love standup grappling and love judo. bjj is cool, but I don't have the same attitude towards it as I do the other two. All three are competitive, no * styles, which is what attracts me to them.

I'd like you to list your art and why you chose it over others.

I live in Montana, and back in the early 70's, there wasn't a whole lot of arts to select from. Basically, there were 3 dojo's in my small town. TKD, Hawaiian Kempo, and Shorinryu. The TKD and Kempo sensei were well known to go out to the bars frequently and start fights. Not my thing, so I chose the Shorinryu system, and have never regretted it.

What is your style of fighting and why do you think it is effective?

I'm a very defensive/counter fighter. I love an aggressive person to come at me. Shorinryu is a perfect system (IMHO) for this, as it doesn't waste any time with flashy and ineffective techniques.

My nightly prayer..."Please, just let me win that PowerBall Jackpot just once. I'll prove to you that it won't change me!"

I'd like you to list your art and why you chose it over others. What is your style of fighting and why do you think it is effective?

I study a conglomerate style of Silat (clearsilat.com), Taiji, Systema, and am about to start Xingyi.

I study these arts because they have the things i have found most useful and effective and because I have some access to instructors.

I've been exposed to... well, a great deal.