• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Great MA books

You might enjoy Funakoshi's books or Kanazawa's books

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity."

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shorin Ryuu, is the book Unante: The secrets of Karate that good of a read? I was up in the air about buying it, as I heard very little about it...Judging by your post it will be in my library straight away!

I'll be honest with you. I enjoyed reading it, although some may think of it as an encyclopedia. I don't think it "reads" like an encyclopedia, but it contains so much info it isn't necessarily something you can read in just a few sittings without forgetting much of what you have read. All the same, I think it is a neccessary addition to the library of someone who is serious about the history of karate. Much more "scholarly" than many other publications out there.

Martial Arts Blog:http://bujutsublogger.blogspot.com/

I have to say that I very much enjoy reading Dave Lowry's (sp?) more philosophical books. The mix of his personal insights into the traditional aspects of his art, and his sense of humor make for quite a good read.

I also recommend "Living the Martial Way" to anyone interested in such material. Also a good read.

"Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice."

M.A.S.

Karate My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi

Karate-do Kyohan by Gichin Funakoshi

Karate-do Nyomon by Gichin Funakoshi

Dynamic Karate By Masatoshi Nakayama

Okinawan Karate by Shoshin Nagamine

Okinawan Gojuryu Karate by Morio Higaonna (3 Volumns)

7th Dan Chidokai

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I recently went to Australia and New Zealand and picked up a copy of Forrest Morgan's Living the Martial Way. I have to say that it was a very good read, and I thank everyone that recommended it. Like someone said earlier, i was nodding my head through much of the read since I have reached those levels through my studies, but needless to say, I think that it is very great that someone had spent the time to write a book like that.

I have also read Stepehen F Kaufman's translation of the Book of Five Rings, the best translation I have read so far.

And also Sun Tzu's Art of War....

Thanks for all the recommendations so far by everyone, I am still searching down many of the other books that have been listed, but if you know of others, feel free to post them as well.

That which does not destroy me will only make me stronger

I have to say that I very much enjoy reading Dave Lowry's (sp?) more philosophical books. The mix of his personal insights into the traditional aspects of his art, and his sense of humor make for quite a good read.

I also recommend "Living the Martial Way" to anyone interested in such material. Also a good read.

I like Dave Lowry's writing as well. Moving Toward Stillness is a great collection of his essays written for various magazines over several years.

Beyond the Known and Toward the Unkown are two interesting books by Tri Thong Dan. The author was proficient at several systems (mantis, Hsing-I, Pa kua), but the parables in his books are transferable to any style because the principles focus mainly on mindfulness in martial arts practice in general.

In addition to those listed above, i would like to add Secret Tactics by Kazumi Tabata.

Here's a link:

http://print.google.com/print?id=GZyg6POGj20C&lpg=2&dq=kazumi+tabata&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dkazumi%2Btabata&sig=C21c2bCq3w-byKeal7KUJcE8HOc

One of my all time favorites.