• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thats a interesting Statistic about police officers. I know when I went threw police defensive tactics they taught you just enough to get your butt kicked. And the best part is that once you go threw the short course, it may be another 6 months to a year before you get any review training at all. I know a lot depends on the different departments out there but I know that most dont have their defenisve tactics courses up to a standard that I would like to see.

A True Martial Arts Instructor is more of a guide than anything, on your way to developing the warrior within yourself!!!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know why that is? LIABILITY. I am a trainer for our Sheriff's Office. The carotid restraint was taught to law enforcement a long time ago (pre Rodney King) but it was all but banned by the major departments because of the big L word. That's why LAPD didn't use it against King, which probably could have ended the situation a heckufa lot prettier. People were getting killed in the restraint....why? #1- improper application ( guys were arm barring instead of restraining the carotids)... #2 suspects were hopped up on dope ( which led to in custody deaths after restraints- though properly applied- were done.)

Cops aren't taught a good MA regimen because many of the techniques aren't approved by their departments or by case laws restricting their use. The best stuff we teach our guys deals with basic kick/ punch techniques, pressure points and joint manipulation, and we just introduced groundfighting (BJJ based) into the def tactic program as well. Previous posters are right- if you aren't trained in the technique and aren't certified in CPR....leave it alone. If you have both, then use it with caution.

Mixed Martial Artist

It takes around 4-5 minutes to kill someone with a blood choke.

I've choked about 20 people unconscious through training, competition and working as a bouncer. I've never had a single problem.

JohnnyS you are hillarious! I love the way you so casually said that. But in all seriousness johnnyS is correct but I would ad that some serious brain damage will be caused if you sustain a choke for longer then 1-2 minutes. It usaully takes about 8 seconds to make someone go out if you have a good choke set in. But if the person is out and you continue the choke you can expect to be taking a nice long vaction "up state" if you catch my drift. :wink:

Tapped out, knocked out, or choked out...Take your pick.

http://jujitsu4u.com/

http://www.combatwrestling.com/

http://gokor.com/

better judged by 12 then carried by six.

just stay away from the throad and youl be fine :karate:

Phil

Ryu Kyu Christian Karate Federation

"Do not be dependent on others for your improvement. Pay respect to God and Buddha

but do not reley on them." Musashi

I don't know anyone with brain damage... caused by a choke or otherwise.

What are you hoping to find? Evidence that a bjjer can receive brain damage by an improperly applied choke hold?

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

Unconsciousness is achieved by cutting off the oxygen supply to the brain. Any time that you remove oxygen from the brain some amount of damage occurs.

There are many other variables that dtermine whether or not a person can or will be seriously harmed by a technique like this. Somone earlier mentioned that they had used this type choke numerous times with no problems. Let's look at it another way. Do you think a court is going to care when you tell them, "Your honour, I've done that choke a bunch of times and nobody ever died before now."

How far are you willing to push your luck if it isn't necessary?

A block is a strike is a lock is a throw.

You think someone would get less damage from being punched and hitting their head on concrete?

There's always a chance that someone can get injured when you defend yourself. Having said that, in all the years of Judo competition, not one single person has died as the result of a choke. Conversely, how many people have died in boxing from being punched in the head?

BJJ - Black Belt under John Will (Machado)

Shootfighting - 3rd Degree Black Belt

TKD - Black Belt