• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

traditional kata

ronryu

I am a studnet of Motobu ha ****o ryu karate whick incorprates a lot of traditional kata . I was wondering what some peoples opinions and views are on traditional kata . ie what is your favorate kata and bunkai . I am only a shodan and curently the kata i am working alot on is chinto (tomori version).

Karate is not a sport , it is a way of life .

Sandan Motobu ha Shi-to ryu karate

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ronryu I have learned some traditional shotokan kata's and some traditional kata's that arent' shotokan.

After the Heians, Jutte, Jin, Jion, and Rohai I began to work on Tekki or Nihanchi shodan and nidan ( I am still working on nidan) Ananku and am still working on Bassai dai.

As you see it is sort of an odd mix. What katas do you do? Next projects I am looking at wankan or wansu.

We have the Pinan kata's, they are like Heians. We learn Jiin, Jitte, Jion and Bassai Dai. I know Rohai, Seianchin, Sanchin, SOchin, Neseishi and...that's it.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

thanks for your reply . As of right now the kata i know and run on a regular basis are as follows , ten no , chi no ,the Pinan's , wankan , nihanchi 1,2,3 , Basai Dai , Kosokun Dai , Shisochin , Seiuchin , Jutte , Jiin , Jion , Sanchin , Higionna Sanchin , Miyagi Sanchin , Tomori Chinto , Rohai , Ananku , and i belive that is about it i know several others but these are the ones that I practice on most of my workouts .

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

I notice that you differentiate between Higionna Sanchin and Miyagi sanchin. Do you by any chance know which variant of Rohai you do?

I am very curious. I think I have leads as to what became of rohai ichi and ni but no idea about the third.

From my understanding we do itosu rohai ichi i have seen rohai ni which i belive has elbow strickes in it i have never seen rohai san , Ihave also seen matsumora rohai . It is not much diferent from rohai ichi .

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

I am currently only an orange belt so I have not even started to see the beginning of kata. Hypothetically speaking of course. I was at an open session at my dojo the other day and the most interesting kata that I saw was the one that I am practicing. It is basic but effective. Geksai da ichi. It means attack and smash and it was developed by chojun miyagi (the creator of goju ryu). :karate:

Boards don't hit back.

-Bruce Lee

yes i know gekisia dai ichi we also do a version of it called chino . they are perty much identical wiht a few different stances but it is a very good kata one of my favorite.

Katsu ryu kempo

Ryukyu kobudo

During some research I found some information of interest about how some katas seem to have so many different variants.

It seems as though if people in a village visited another and would see a demo. Sometimes they would see a form that looked similar to the one they did. But, the one they did not always have a name. So they would go home and start calling the form they did by the name they heard in the village they were visiting.

Then too differences would creep in as students became teachers in their later years and impart their own marks upon the form.

Some of the forms we do may be centuries old but there is really no documentation much before the time of Itosu and his teacher Matsumura. About that time period is when some records began to be kept.

• 1 year later...