• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Violent/Real Karate? - The Okinawan Sindo Ryu school

wing chun kuen man

I have problems with the claim that although they do full contact they have no record of injuries. He says he achieves this through muscle conditioning. But if the only no go areas are the eyes....? How do you build muscle on your nose, temples, ears, knees, sternum etc??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After spending more time reading through the website, I get more and more the feeling that this, "no rules, no weight classes, full contact" thing is really more of a sales pitch used to emphasize that they are a no-nonsense school looking for dedicated students looking for serious training, than it is a description of what they do most of the time in their training. Their instructor even mentions that sparring is not their main focus.

Interesting approach to attracting students, to say the least. Not sure I'd use that angle though.

I think most folks would be interested in a no-nonsense school that took it's training seriously like that, but my first impression of this school was complete turnoff because the guy sounded more into himself than the martial art. And you know what they say about first impressions - you only get one chance to make it a good one. :P

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

I got a headache looking into their Katas, if you practice Okinawa ti(te) then you should end up to one of the main roots , Naha, Tomari, Shuri. These katas listed for this style is a mix of all mostly shuri-te . I love to see their sanchin if it’s a closed fist then they got it from Miyagi sensei, also they practice a brand new kata like Pinan and they put the Nidan

before shodan which is a trade mark of Funakushi sensei, best I can think of is a low level Okinawan Version of Kyukushin. Considering the no rule full contact crap ( UFC in Okinawa) I am agree with the first post mentioned something about “idiots in the room”.

about "Sanjugo" kata , what is it? any info.?

As I said before this school does not seem to be a McDojo. I personally cannot make judgments, insinuations or insulting comments regarding "Sindo-Ryu". All I know that is there are some good and serious sounding things in their site but at the same time other things that confuse me a little bit. However, my confusion could be a result of my own lack of knowledge regarding Sindo-Ryu rather than any misrepresentation on their part.

They just don´t look like they are selling black belts, if anything it looks like it will even take longer than other styles to receive a black belt in this school. Other statements in the site may reflect the Russian approach to fighting rather than any badass attitude. There being no weight class distinction in their fighting reflects how things were done in the past. A few years ago, I briefly trained Shotokan karate under a 7th dan japanese sensei. One time he made a couple of statements to me after the class, these have stayed in my mind since...they included, "karate is not as powerfull as it used to be in the past, it has become weaker" and "in the past there were no weight distinctions in fighting, this is a western concept". He also said that in his younger days in japan, the training was extremely tough and the fighting in the dojo was contact with people getting hurt regularly.

P.A.L about your questions on the kata, why don´t you send them an email. If I am not mistaken they have their email listed on the site.

I would like to know more, before I make any final judgements.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

"He also said that in his younger days in japan, the training was extremely tough and the fighting in the dojo was contact with people getting hurt regularly."

LOL, sounds like our dojo :)

I went back to training last night after 3 weeks off with a serious back sprain and almost got my middle finger broken.

One guy got kneed in the jaw and several had rib and knee injuries since the last time I saw them :)

We also have no weight restrictions. The 125LB Japanese guys fight the 230LB American guys all the time.

Osu!

ET

....And from what I have heard, earlier in your style´s history in japan, contact to the head was allowed as well. Sindo-Ryu seems to have the early characteristics of kyokushinkai, but perhaps with even fewer rules.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

Cool site. I think that really is a very strict Karate lifestyle. But it is Kick- * as you say...

"To be elated at success, and dissappointed at defeat, is to be the child of Circumstances."

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!