• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Most Violent/Real Karate? - The Okinawan Sindo Ryu school

wing chun kuen man

What does not make sense is that they do not seem to have the profile of a typical "McDojo", as they seem to be a very low profile school. Also, isn´t it possible that when they do free sparr full contact they don´t actually do it with the purpose of killing their classmates? E.g. chopping each other´s throats, etc. Didn´t Kyokushinkai karate have a similar philosophy earlier on in its history?did any of its practitioners meet an early end during this period? I am just looking for answers. The site also mentions special training that prepares them for full contact fighting.

Also, I thought that the term Okinawa-Te was a general term for describing the empty hand fighting systems of Okinawa such as Shuri-te, Naha-te ,etc. and not exclusive property of a particular style(s)/school(s). Does anybody have any more info?

Could it be that when they say that their school is "the only one school for Ancient okinawa karate...." they mean to say that it is the only one that uses "the Ancient okinawa combat karate rule - Uri Kumi Go". That is, they are not saying that they are the only ancient style. Like I said in a previous post, the implication seems to be that Sindo-Ryu is an ancient school of thought on how karate should be practiced, rather than an individual style of karate. I just think that name calling and making references to "cults", "room full of idiots" and "drugs" regarding this school is wrong. Instead of curiosity I feel that there is a bit of animosity towards this school. This confuses me (even more than the actual web site....lol). Some of this animosity may be due to cultural and intellectual differences and/or bias for one. Two, could it be that some of us who practice tough and "macho" contact martial arts (yours truly included) don´t like the idea that there are other schools that may make us look like we are nuns practicing ballet? I don´t take anything at face value, however I would like to find out more about this school before I make up my mind.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, the Thai/Kick boxers are rather quiet on this subject. Or is it just me? Come on guys, any constructive input or opinions?

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Real traditional martial arts training is difficult to find.....most dojos in the west are Mcdojos....some are better and some are worst....but they are what they are....do you train in one?

I just think that name calling and making references to "cults", "room full of idiots" and "drugs" regarding this school is wrong. Instead of curiosity I feel that there is a bit of animosity towards this school.

No, it's not animosity, at least from my side. It's just that I took the time to read some of the info on the website, and that is my opinion of that school based on what I read. If they worded their website wrong, that's their problem.

The instructor sounds like he has something to prove, but he never actually defines what it is - at least on his website. If he wants to train and teach Karate like that just to be able to say he's the "baddest mofo that ever walked the planet", then more power to him, but if he indeed is the baddest mofo to ever walk the planet, isn't it better to have others say it about him instead of himself tooting his own horn? Until now, how many have actually heard of this guy before? Hmm....

Like I said, if folks want to train that way, that's fine. But it just sounds like he's spouting the same old hackneyed opinion about how full contact is the only way real men train. :roll:

I dunno, maybe I've just outgrown the need to prove my manhood to the world. :P

Again, like I said, just my opinion.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

hate to ask what might be a daft question

but what significance does having a school in okinawa have?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

I understand your view. However, I believe that rather than saying that he is a badass, the Russian sensei is just talking about his experiences and is explaining his school´s training philosophy - which by the way states that they place more importance on kata training than on sparring, very okinawan in essence. Also, in the same mode they seem to place an emphasis on avoiding fights. This is hardly a badass attitude. You may have a point about the wording (maybe it is the translation from Russian to English) of the site, which could have been better done.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

Drunken Monkey,

The Russian sensei does not have a school in Okinawa, his dojo is in Moscow. However, he belongs to the Sindo-Ryu school of karate, whose headquarters is in Okinawa. [i think that is what you were asking].

Wing Chun Kuen Man

so who owns and runs the place in okinawa?

post count is directly related to how much free time you have, not how intelligent you are.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

According to their web site the head of the Sindo Ryu school in Okinawa is sensei Hanashiro Naito.

Wing Chun Kuen Man

which by the way states that they place more importance on kata training than on sparring, very okinawan in essence.

I did catch that too.

I don't know much about Kata in Karate, or what they look like, but if they are anything like the Hyung (Korean equivalent of Japanese Kata) in Kuk Sool Won, then I think I would like that.

I don't know if Kata are normally an integral part of Karate, or merely viewed as a bothersome necessity to some Karate practioners, but I am glad they are given as much importance in Kuk Sool as they are.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

They seem to be like most Okinawan styles to me.

Most teach jissen kumite as far as I'm aware.

Kyokushin has the nameas THE full-contact styles, but many of the Okinawan 'ryu' styles have been doing it since the beginning.

I see no point in slamming this school unless you have direct evidence that they are bunk.

My $0.02

Osu!

ET