• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring problem, starting to get fustrated.

markusan.

thats exactly correct. when i was doing tkd, and the instructor would put lower grades against me, he would warn them that if they went hard, i would go hard back, and would give me permission to do so. when sparring with a senior or black belt. work with them to improve, dont just rush in to try and beat them, cos you wont.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go against long legged people too. One strategy I used is to stand about a foot behind the line and when they come in for the kick a quick sidestep to the inside of the kick (which ever side the knee is not pointing) and a backfist to the back of the head as your going past them. Timing is the key to this as well as anyother counter.

I have to fight many lower ranking belts in my school, I will try to do techniques that I would not try against someone of the same rank and skill or higher. It is a practice session for the real thing. Just remember if you fight someone who out ranks you can only get better and should think of it as a training advantage not a disadvantage.

"Karate is like ballet, except there is no music, no choreography and the dancers get to hit each other."

• 3 weeks later...

In our dojo, we are warned that we must spar at the lower level of our sparring partner. If I'm with a white belt, I must only use punches and kicks from the white belt form. I always advise the lower ranks to come at me with a combination of 3 punches or kicks and sparring is a give and take system. You give each other a chance to attack and defend so each party can learn.

My greatest fear is sparring against male adult green belts. They have enough power and knowledge to really hurt someone, but not enough training and restraint to hold back. The cup and jockstrap is your friend at this point.

One steps are benificial as they start you a foot from your target when kicking and striking so as not to injure a student. By the time you reach black belt, you should be able to perform a cresent kick while grazing the other persons uniform, but not strike them. Sparring is not usually performed until green belt in our school and only after the completion of one steps. Keep your eyes on their belt and watch the hips and torso move. You can begin to spot what leg or arm they'll use to strike and you can block easier this way. Keep moving in circles...if you get dizzy, you know your're doing it right. DON't stand still and remain a target! Many times our instructor will tell half of the class can only defend while the other half attacks. Or half can use their legs only or hands only. Makes you think a little more. Most of all....enjoy the sparring! If you get hit, laugh it off....that's what I do.

If at first you don't succeed, forget skydiving.

Being a lower belt you should use it as a challange when paired up with a senoir belt. You will learn a lot of techniques from them. I am red stripe and I constantly fight only black belts at my club. I have found the level of competition at my dojo has exceeded the talent at any of my competitions. I can accredit this success to fighting a better fighter. I get the crap kicked out of me on a weekly basis but have learned how to move and counter when there is an opening. Eventually you will find openings you just have to stick with it. Goodluck, and just remember those senior belts were once beginers too.

"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to go to his class." Choi, Hong Hi ITF Founder

• 4 weeks later...

I am ranked at blue belt. I too get stuck with brown belts and up to spar against. I know it is annoying at first, but after you start putting the pressure back on them it just makes you that much better.

The body does as the mind commands.

Hey I read your comment about double kicks. Those kicks are bogus. They take to long and leave the attcker open, all you have to do is do a spinnig side kick when he starts the double roundhouse(if it is with the same leg). Another thing is learn to take a hit, so you won't be woried when sparring. I grew up learning with my father and older brother( I learned how to take hits fast. Also the moment the attacker drops his legs move into him using your hands and don't stop until your instructor says. Again double roundhouses with the same leg are bogus.

It is good to be well versed in one style, but even better to be well versed in many styles.

Hey I read your comment about double kicks. Those kicks are bogus. They take to long and leave the attcker open,

i agree 100%!!!

doing the double roundhouse kick got the wind knocked out of me.I got back kicked since my friend knew what it was...and damn that * hurt.Those are one the kicks to show off to audiences.

''I know what your thinking.........did I shoot you 3 times? or did I shoot you 472 times?''

I got back kicked since my friend knew what it was.

I think you will find that it is much easier to defend yourself when you know what attack is coming. Fake low-strike high, or fake high-strike low. The use of good fakes (a fake that doesn't look like a fake), and your sparring success will improve with any techniques you choose to use.

Student: "Why did you hit that guy with a chair? Why didn't you use your karate?"

Master: "Hitting him with a chair was the only karate I could think of at the time."

Lesson: Practice until you don't have to think.

truly the only way to get better and get more respect is to go in to the fight with a good adittude and a willing ness to learn because when i was a young fighhter I was always put up against bigger and better people then me but know I get to teach the untrained fighters and thanks to me fighting higher belts I had more respect and I earned more respect from the other students and when I went to tournments it was so much easier for me to win and spot openings in my competion so just don't get frustrated and keep up the good work

"It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live." - Sir Thomas Brown

I bring the pain hope you can take it-Cash Monroe