• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring problem, starting to get fustrated.

Wouldn't you be more worried if as a white belt you could crush all the upper belts than if the upper belts crushed you? I mean, if as a beginner you won all the time why even pay money to take lessons at the school?

Just accept that as a beginner you'll lose a lot and stop trying to circumvent that by getting textual advice from random people on the internet. If you relax and stop being afraid to lose and learn, then before you know it you'll start to develop some actual skills of your own.

"I said powerful and quick side kicks like bruce lee ones...NOt just normal ritarded side kicks.

Argh...nevermind.

(idiots)"

Arfoo from shaolinwolf.com

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are trying to push kick you, you can give their foot a little push of your own. It's very simple to simply knock it out of the way, and it will throw them off balance giving you an opening for a kick or punch. I am a yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I also am paired with green-black belts, but I love it. Play with their minds a little, and practice your decieving techniques.

.: No matter what happens you must have faith in yourself, or no one else will ever have faith in you. If you have the desire, you can do anything :. (A quote from my sensei)

Wouldn't you be more worried if as a white belt you could crush all the upper belts than if the upper belts crushed you? I mean, if as a beginner you won all the time why even pay money to take lessons at the school?

Just to be a bugger... wearing a white belt doesn't necessarily translate into being a n00blet. Every school i visit, i come in wearing a white belt. And if i'm able to defeat everyone in the school, that does not mean i can't learn anything from them.

Hell, if i could defeat my instructor, that definitely does not mean my instructor cannot further instruct me. Many of the instructors/coaches/trainers i've had... i could toss around like rag dolls, but their insight and training recommends were exceedingly beneficial.

Yes, this is a tangent. :P

"When you are able to take the keys from my hand, you will be ready to drive." - Shaolin DMV Test

Intro

My greatest fear is sparring against male adult green belts. They have enough power and knowledge to really hurt someone, but not enough training and restraint to hold back.

Amen! I hate sparring people who know enough to hurt somebody but not enough to control themselves. It makes me just want to...axe kick the top of their head repeatedly, which is generally what I do. My instructor always tells me, as sort of an ironic twist to the other comment made, is that I am allowed to hit back as hard as I am hit. If I am trying to play nice with a lower rank, and they insist on attempting to prove themselves, I have the right to kick their sorry little butt.

In regards to beating the kick...which I believe is what this whole thing is about...

As a Kenpo artist, I do not find many high kickers in the studio where I train/teach. However, the majority of tournaments I go to are TKD, because that's what's around here. As a 6' 5" skinny guy with legs that are longer than most people's entire body, I love kicking. But, in the case that I come up against a TKD BB that can hold their own with kicking (and there are many) I have one word for you...hands.

If TKD has a weakness (and don't get me wrong, I love the style), it's their hand strikes. Get inside those kicks with a fake, a circle, or a good block, and just open up with your hands. The hardest part: staying in. Once you get in range for hands, stay there! Don't back off an inch, or you'll take a 'boot to the head' (I LOVE MONTY PYTHON, DON'T YOU?).

American Kenpo Karate- First Degree Black Belt

"He who hesitates, meditates in a horizontal position."

Ed Parker

If you're advancing at a traditional tkd pace (belt testing every 2-4 months) you have no business sparring at all as a white belt....

I'm 5'2 and I get frustrated when I get hit, too...I get hit in the head a lot :roll:.....I've found if I stay in closer and keep my hands up a little higher than the average person, I don't get hit nearly as much...plus being close, I can execute kicks, but if my sparring partner has longer legs, they have a hard time fully executing anything (except for maybe a hook kick...)

https://www.karatebarn.com

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me..." Phil. 4:13

• 3 weeks later...
guys those are great counters of the front kick but u cant really hit below the waist in TKD sparring. so attacking the leg is illegal.

Now I'm hardly an expert on TKD sparring, [ I do American Kenpo], but does that rule include blocking your opponents kicks? I mean sure, you need to learn to take a hit/kick, but being not allowed to even block them seems pretty lame.

So as long as your allowed to block, then block. In Kenpo we learn that every block is a strike, so don't just block, block with feeling. It's not "attacking below the belt", it's blocking hard. Which is what you're going to want to do in a real life anyway. If someone kicks you, and you block it, you want them to seriously reconsider kicking you again. Learn the various nerves in the leg [and arm], and when you do your block, if you are able to aim the block well, even if you don't have any power, it will be very effective. Granted, this is difficult, I'm not very good at that part yet, but a well placed block can leave the opponents limb numb.

Just my non-TKD $.02

DT

- "Failure is the opportunity to begin again, more intelligently." Benjamin Franklin

-"If you always do what you've always done you'll always be what you've always been." Dale Carnegie

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small word of advice: if you're going to get hit by the push kick, keyai as it hits you and move in. Unless your opponent is a lot bigger and stronger than you are, chances are he'll be pushed off balance by your forward momentum, even if he lands the kick, and then you've got him, follow up quickly and don't stop attacking until you absolutely have to.

Also, respect your higher belts, they can teach you a lot. This doesn't mean you should roll over for them, but realize that they are better than you because they have already gone through the trials and experiences you're going through right now. Learn from what they do, but develop your own style and work on it often. Try new things whenever you get the chance and ask someone you train with for their opinion or advice. A lot of times an outside opinion can give you insight into a strategy that you never considered before.

Happy Training!!

Tae Kwon Do - 3rd Dan, Instructor

Brazilian Ju Jitsu - Purple Belt, Level 1 Instructor

I agree its good to spar with higher grades than yourself. Until recently, I had to spar with people my rank, and similarly inexperienced. I got hurt frequently by clumsy strikes. Recently, someone joined my class from another club. Although he's joined as a white belt, he was 4th kyu at previous club, so he's more experienced than me. He's also really considerate, because he tells me what I'm doing wrong, or right, and what to work on.

So, when you're sparring someone more experienced, ask them for some feedback so you know what to work on.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

usually we have 2 classes of the day, both are for kids. the first class is for toddlers and up that are begineers, the second class is for teenagers and advanced belts (brown - black).

well i choose to join both classes. i am an unexperienced white belt, yet the fact that i have to spar red - black belts in the first class makes me a bit fustrated. the second class i tend to get very fustrated, i get beat down like nothing.

the instructors pair me up with people my size but they are probably 10 blets higher then me. at the end of the day i was so fustrated that i felt like * the rest of the day. i dont know what to do when he does this, or that or w/e.

so as u know, im going to train twice as hard to beat these guys. and show my instructors my potential and humiliate the higher belts.

i seem to have a huge problem when people with super long legs just push kick me when i try to move in, sometiems i try to dodge the cut kick and do a back kick, but i cant even touch them. and the fact that they can do a headshot much easier then i can to them, i have no way to scoring points on these guys.

so i thought of one strategy that will probably work on anyone, countering.

what are some great countering strats from fast kicks, axe kicks, double kicks, hook kicks, cut kicks, etc etc.

and what are the main kicks i should work on to use for sparring.

i was planning on working on my double kick for a whole month, non stop to increase its speed and power, then the next month i would work on fast kick, then the next month hook kick, and so on.

thanks advice is really appreciated!

dont move in at all only backwards or stay whare you are,

because I love sparring with people like you I wait for them to make the first move, then bam! the second they come in theire on the ground because of my superior side kick to the chest.

When seen by the hawk, the rabbit's life is ended;when my arrow flies, my enemy is already dead.

If they are trying to push kick you, you can give their foot a little push of your own. It's very simple to simply knock it out of the way, and it will throw them off balance giving you an opening for a kick or punch. I am a yellow belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I also am paired with green-black belts, but I love it. Play with their minds a little, and practice your decieving techniques.

how can he do that when the push kick is a counter and hese the one whose attacking-an attack worth doing will let your guard down(if its powerful). he cant concetrate on defence when hese attacking. Just dont ever make the first move. Im a 2nd degree black belt and when people attack I just do a spinning bak kick to the face and ive won the mach

When seen by the hawk, the rabbit's life is ended;when my arrow flies, my enemy is already dead.