• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sparring problem, starting to get fustrated.

usually we have 2 classes of the day, both are for kids. the first class is for toddlers and up that are begineers, the second class is for teenagers and advanced belts (brown - black).

well i choose to join both classes. i am an unexperienced white belt, yet the fact that i have to spar red - black belts in the first class makes me a bit fustrated. the second class i tend to get very fustrated, i get beat down like nothing.

the instructors pair me up with people my size but they are probably 10 blets higher then me. at the end of the day i was so fustrated that i felt like * the rest of the day. i dont know what to do when he does this, or that or w/e.

so as u know, im going to train twice as hard to beat these guys. and show my instructors my potential and humiliate the higher belts.

i seem to have a huge problem when people with super long legs just push kick me when i try to move in, sometiems i try to dodge the cut kick and do a back kick, but i cant even touch them. and the fact that they can do a headshot much easier then i can to them, i have no way to scoring points on these guys.

so i thought of one strategy that will probably work on anyone, countering.

what are some great countering strats from fast kicks, axe kicks, double kicks, hook kicks, cut kicks, etc etc.

and what are the main kicks i should work on to use for sparring.

i was planning on working on my double kick for a whole month, non stop to increase its speed and power, then the next month i would work on fast kick, then the next month hook kick, and so on.

thanks advice is really appreciated!

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know what to tell you in regards to tae kwon do..

but if the push kick is what is getting you, there is a very easy way to counter it..

as they are throwing it and the weapon is coming into your stomach... assuming thats where they are aiming.

use one of your hands as a hook..

palm facing down, working from your inside line towards your outside line.

you will pull the leg slightly towards your outside..

if you can invision this, it will just knock their foot enough off target that you can also twist your body at the same time, if you practice it enough you will get to the point its a reaction and it will place your open stance to their closed stance and while giving you a bunch of possible attacks it limits theirs greatly.

now... this is much harder to do if the person kicking is using an inverted side kick.... like those taught in kickboxing... but you can still smack or "bat" the foot down.

You know, when I have to spar against others less experienced due to their rank, I like to make it a helpful, learning experience for them. I let them take some clean shots just so they can get used to looking for the opening and put combos together. It doesn't do me or my opponent any good to wail on an inexperienced white belt. Sheesh!

Anyhow, one thing you might try is to feint moving into their kicking range so they can commit to throwing a kick, and work on countering with something else like a roundhouse or even a lunging backfist to the head.

Also, like Luckykboxer said, don't be afraid to block their kicks. Deflecting their kicks takes some practice to get the timing right, but blocking doesn't have to be just absorbing the kicks.

If they aren't wearing shin pads, then one thing I like to use is just a simple palm strike to the shins on a front kick or even on a roundhouse kick sometimes. A couple of those and it makes them think twice about throwing it as hard next time. :D

Good luck.

Dean

Dahn Boh Nim - Black-Brown Belt

Kuk Sool Won

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow." - James Dean

As i was told when i was doing tae kwondo both as a beginner and as a black belt, and now that i have started karate, sparring with much higher grades is better than someone your own level. What can you learn from sparring another white belt. not much i would say. plus, the lower grades have much less control in their technique, and hence the is a greater chance of being hurt by one.

dont get frustrated by sparring with higher grades, be greatful. they will be able to assist you much more and be a lot more beneficial than sparring lower grades.

Of course you get the occasional high grade that thinks they are super superior, and will just pummel the lower grades, but generally get there just desserts when they face a grade higher to them.

It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong, and I am NOT a big man.

Tae Kwon Do (ITF) - 1st Dan Black Belt

Shotokan Karate - 6th Kyu

I agree completely. Just look at what sparring them is getting you to do. You are working on a strategy on how to get past the push kick they keep landing. If you are on good terms with any of them, ask them for any advice they can give after the match is over. A "true" BB will tell you where the holes are in your defense.

In the end, do not work on improving with the intent to humiliate anyone. That is not a productive use of your energy. Improve for the sake of becomming the best you can be, and remember what you had to endure when it's your turn to be the upper belt sparring the lower belt.

As far as countering push kicks, that's easy. You can deflect, as was already mentioned. Or, you can attack at angles, instead of straight on, which limits what they can do. You can side step the kick, preferably to their outside, or you can convert into a circular motion, spinning along side the extended leg into a spinning backfist.

Good luck.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

The most successful shorter sparrers I've known all share one similar trait: an unrelenting forward drive.

The long legged fighter likes the long range game, and he'd love nothing more for you to dance around the perimeter of his kicks all day.

Imagine the surprise he gets when he spars someone who just comes at him like a frieght train... with 3-5 techniques, attempting to drive him backwards. Once they are going backwards, it's all downhill for most fighters, and they end up in a sad little cowering position while you rain down reverse punches and backfists :)

Overcome your fear of taking that first kick, knowing full well that you may lose the battle, but win the war. Even in a point sparring situation, this can work to your advantage. If you come in charging hard, you've moved the advantage to you. Now the guy thinks he's sparring a crazy short guy, and like many people will either:

1. become extremely conservative and hesitant

2. try to play your game (short range.)

1 is great, since you have beaten them psychologically. 2 is also nifty as you are moving the fight from their advantage to YOURS. I love forcing people to fight short range with me, because that is what I train the hardest. When they try to switch, it's like trying to keep up with a professional tap dancer on your first day of class ;)

This strategy takes an absolutely FEARLESS attitude. You cannot think "i might get hurt!"

Yes, you might take a lump or two, but you WILL win.

I'm no longer posting here. Adios.

guys those are great counters of the front kick but u cant really hit below the waist in TKD sparring. so attacking the leg is illegal.

so what u are saying is get hit by the push kick then move in for the kill? or is there a way for me to move in...

also what if i close the range of him and he decides to pick up his leg and do an inside crescent axe kick?

and how do i attack from an angle?

Any fighter can fight their best when fresh, it matters when your not.

Circular attack = linear counter (and vice versa)

Circular cresent kick, close distance fast (as tommarker said) straight in. As soon as you're inside the arch of the striking foot, you can only get struck by the inside of his/her thigh. Couter with your choice of hand strikes. (I would say elbows, but you're probably not allowed).

When I say attack at angles, it's the reverse. His/her striaght ahead push kick attack should be counter by quickly moving in a circular motion just enough to avoid the kick, then counter with your own kick. Because you are comming in at an angle, not straight on, it will take a more practiced sparrer to defend against your attack.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

sounds to me like your rushing things. If you attcak a blackbelt or any belt as hard as you can, they are going to mirror your attack, At whitebelt level I would suggest working on your control and footwork rather than beating these guys, Then you might find they'll help you rather than counterattack. If a wjite belt attacks me too aggressively I give them a couple of warnings, but if they persist I'll kick back. I'm not their punching bag.