• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring

Fish

I know there've been a few posts about sparring here, but I do with some help.

I have to regularly spar against somebody much bigger and heavier than me. I'm 6' and 12 stone 4 lb. He's about 6'2" and I'd guess around 15 - 16 stone. He's heavy. We're both beginners, same rank (7th kyu, grading to 6th together later this Summer).

Anyway, when we spar I try to go for it to overcome my basic fear, but just about every time I end up getting injured, especially round my knees. He likes to go for the legs. I'm wondering what I should do. I don't want to discourage him, after all he's there to learn as well. But I don't want to spend all my time recovering from one injury after another. I know we're both inexperienced, and will both improve with time, but how can I learn to spar better? What should I actually be practising to make improvement? Or does it just "come" one day, like riding a bicycle?

Any tips or wisdom you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Use your heavy bag alot. Also, you should do some very heavy squats, as the added strength could help you legs alot. Also, I found you can get dreat improvement from kicking the air for reps. Example: 100 front kick, 100 round kicks, 100 side kicks on each leg. Also, you can practice lifting your legs while wearing ankle weights.

If you really feel size is giving him an advantage, you could add some muscle with body building. I did added 10 pounds of muscle, and the larger guys can no longer give me a problem.

Another option is to start doing a whole lot of running and various other cardio. The advantage here is that you can go full tilt, as hard as you possibly can, for the whole match, and get only somewhat tired, while he is exhausted and you can beat him pretty good while he is trying to recover. I have also used this method pretty succesfully.

Good luck.

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

That's helpful. In terms of cardio, I'm pretty fit as I run, swim, cycle, walk already. Our contests are usually fairly short, so I don't really get the chance to wear him out. But I'll try your suggestions out and watch for improvements. Thanks.

"They can because they think they can." - School Motto.

(Shodan 11th Oct 08)

You should not be getting hurt by your training partner.

Try getting in close. (harder for him to kick you)

Work on your foot work every day, it'll help you get out of the way of those low kicks.

Work on your shin blocks. (instead of just stopping his kicks with your shin, give him a bit of a shove to put him off balance,then counter)

If you are getting hit in joints there is no way to stop the injury, use light shin guard and and block him with your leg, for low kicks , in higher kick never afraid of grabbing leg and take down , high kicks ?(I don’t recommend but some people block with a bent forearm and elbow hits the toe or surface of the foot ,very painful just don’t block the shin by elbow)

I think your problem is your partner lack of control ,I guess he don’t wanna hit you at knee. so far grabbing and moving in would be a good option. If he use round house kicks remember the shortest distance is straight line counter attack with front kick to inner tight of same leg or lower abdomen.. also since he is heavier than you block close to your center line and use your body mass an extended block out of your body can't stop a heay kick.....finally remember you may never recover from a bad knee injury so be very careful.

At 7th Kyu you are both beginners and lack the proper control. It is important to let the other guy know he is banging you too hard. Maybe he dosen't know. :roll:

I was a little thick when I was at your level. I finally figured it out when I was sparring one of the BB. Every time I hit him too hard he would just hit me harder. Then since I was pretty dense at the time I would hit him back and he would promptly blast me, again and again. After he nailed me a few times he just said,......

listen you are hitting me too hard and if you keep doing it I'm going to give it back. :idea: :idea: :idea:

The path to enlightenment is often a painful experience.... :P

Work with your partner you are there to make each other better and to learn. :karate:

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

I say you need to move around more perhaps. Learn to start implementing some side steps and avoid the kicks all together.

Side Step - Attack - Repeat

It's hard to give advice not knowing how you fight. Do you know how to do leg checks? That is blocking the kicks to the legs in the first place?

If he's hitting you in yourt knees you need to learn to shin block.

Ask your sensei to demonstrate the blocking techniques to the front and rear leg, both inside and outside attacks.

They are very straight forward and easy to learn and once you've grasped it, you'll instinctively to it and not get bashed so much.

Osu!

ET